This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What Keyboard and switch colour do you have? Which do you recommend?

#1iPWNtheNoobsPosted 11/10/2013 7:04:01 PM
Plan on buying a mechanical keyboard soon either Black Friday or Boxing Day. Still can't decide on a switch type despite trying them in the store. Going to try them again soon.
---
Space Waster
#2Saga3Posted 11/10/2013 7:20:17 PM
Noppoo Choc Mini; Red switches. I despise them, if you have horrible hand-eye coordination do not buy reds as you'll hit every adjacent key every time you type for around 6 months, then you slightly start to get used to it.

I'd probably get blacks in hindsight as they are pretty much the middle ground for all switches. But it just comes down to preference.
#3somebody336Posted 11/10/2013 7:29:39 PM(edited)
I have red and dont like them. Feels like typing on air or something, I like muh feedback :p (Corsair K70 MX red btw)
#4cuteboi100Posted 11/10/2013 7:27:34 PM(edited)
You'll notice a lot of people say reds are no good for typing and its true; no tactile feedback, easy to hit other buttons.

But, Reds excel the most in gaming compared to other switches. The same low-actuation force reduces reaction time and fatigue. I remember when my fingers got tired after 1 or 2 games of LoL, now I could game a whole day and now feel the fatigue.

I use the Corsair K60, MX Reds btw.
---
Xbox Live GT:ScaryPillow , iHaruyuki TERA:
LoL : ScaryPillow Maplestory: MLGLordly 16x I/L Arch Mage
#5BomasaPosted 11/10/2013 7:32:27 PM
I have the CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Cherry MX Browns. Its light to press down and has the tactile bump to let me know to not bottom out. I got it on a discount from a thread on Geekhack because someone from Cooler Master was giving out a coupon for the people on Geekhack.
---
Steam ID: Bomasa
#6aak57Posted 11/10/2013 7:33:33 PM
I have a Ducky Shine II with reds and an older Das Model S with blues. I pretty much only use the Ducky since I like the lack of force needed to use reds.

You said you tried some switches out, which ones? Honestly, if none of them seemed bad to you, then I wouldn't worry about it.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ULj4q.jpg
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended.
#730aught6Posted 11/10/2013 7:34:59 PM
Ducky Shine II (MX red - least favorite)
Filco Majestouch TKL (MX brown)
Vortex KBT One (MX brown)
Vortex KBT Poker II (MX blue)
Unicomp Classic Model M (buckling spring)

I like browns for gaming, blues for typing / coding, and buckling spring on older machines for nostalgia.
Can't recommend reds, I really don't like them at all, and I've never tried MX clear or MX black.
---
| i7-3930K | MSI Big Bang-XPower II | GTX 680 4GB X2 | CORSAIR DDR3 32GB | Thermaltake TP Grand 1200W | Seagate 240GB SSD | WD Black 4TB | Fractal Define XLR2 |
#8Garquille14Posted 11/10/2013 7:38:36 PM
cuteboi100 posted...
You'll notice a lot of people say reds are no good for typing and its true; no tactile feedback, easy to hit other buttons.

But, Reds excel the most in gaming compared to other switches. The same low-actuation force reduces reaction time and fatigue. I remember when my fingers got tired after 1 or 2 games of LoL, now I could game a whole day and now feel the fatigue.

I use the Corsair K60, MX Reds btw.

browns are actually lighter than reds

It seems to me that having a click when the button actuates is best for gaming
---
backloggery.com/Garquille
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." ~ A. Einstein
#9aak57Posted 11/10/2013 7:42:12 PM
Garquille14 posted...
browns are actually lighter than reds

Might you be thinking of black switches? Reds and browns are tied for lowest pressure, but reds win because browns have a slightly higher actuation force at the bump.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ULj4q.jpg
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended.
#10KaushadPosted 11/10/2013 7:54:24 PM
corsair k60, cherry reds. amazing for everything.
---
Let us assume that for the sake of assumption that I am always right.