This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What Keyboard and switch colour do you have? Which do you recommend?

#21MaKhaosPosted 11/10/2013 9:52:24 PM
IBM Model M

Can't go wrong with it.
---
"TSA lady opened my bag and asked me about my Magic: The Gathering booster packs.
I explained that they're not weapons since I have no land." -Day[9]
#22Killah PriestPosted 11/10/2013 10:30:13 PM
cherry MX brown.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#23Lord_CohlianiPosted 11/10/2013 10:33:35 PM
Blue or green keys are the master race switches.
---
SteamID: Lord Cohliani
#24_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 11/11/2013 3:07:10 AM(edited)
iPWNtheNoobs posted...
So looks like everyone here hates red. Brown is similar.
So, I should probably go with blue eh? I'll focus on checking those out and maybe give brown/black another try.

I wouldnt say browns and reds are similar. Even though they require the same actuation force, the smooth actuation of the reds feels very different from the slight tactile feedback that you get from the browns. I sold my keyboard with reds because no matter how long I used it, I kept on having issues with accidental keypresses (nothing major, but just annoying enough to go for another switch). I have had no such issues with browns.

But it is all subjective of course. Everyone has their own preferences.
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#25Mr_BankercatPosted 11/11/2013 10:28:50 AM
I've got a Ducky Shine 2 blues

I love it
---
Boonker
#26iPWNtheNoobs(Topic Creator)Posted 11/11/2013 2:26:34 PM
Okay. I think I might play it safe and get blue unless I try a brown that convinces me otherwise.

What brands should I be looking at? Any to ignore or focus on?
---
Space Waster
#27CardigansFanPosted 11/11/2013 2:48:07 PM(edited)
iPWNtheNoobs posted...
So looks like everyone here hates red.

I haven't used other Cherry switches, but compared to rubberdome and the like, I vastly prefer the reds in my Corsair K90. I can't stand the clicky loudness, so my next keyboard will have silencers.

I'd love to try some 30g Topre switches >.>
---
Samsung ARM Chromebook * Galaxy Note 3 * NX300 * 3DS * AKA Magus77
#28Ch3wyPosted 11/11/2013 2:42:30 PM
iPWNtheNoobs posted...
So looks like everyone here hates red. Brown is similar.
So, I should probably go with blue eh? I'll focus on checking those out and maybe give brown/black another try.

Reds are awesome. A little hard to get used to at first since they're easy to make typos on, but once you do get used to them they are awesome. Browns are also awesome, but have a completely different feel to them.

I have both a Ducky Zero Red and a Ducky Zero Shine Brown. I like the Red a lot more but the brown is a safer bet for doing programming work on since it's less typo prone.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#29PraetorXynPosted 11/11/2013 7:59:09 PM(edited)
TheC0ndemnedOne posted...
I think Blacks would be best for gaming (the quietness and feel of Reds but require a bit more force; useful for those situations where you accidentally press the wrong button).

Blues would be best for typing because of the tactile feedback.

Browns would be a quieter alternative to Blues.

I don't need a mechanical keyboard or want one very much, but the one I like the most from what I've seen is the ROCCAT Ryos MK (there are also "Glow" and "Pro" versions). I look for keyboards with a good frame (a lot of people like mechanical keyboards that are very small, but I think small keyboards look weird and aren't as comfortable), a numpad, media keys, and good backlighting (gaming keys are a plus). Runner-up is the Corsair K70, but I don't like that there isn't a Cherry MX Black version.

Media Keys aren't necessary because of AutoHotKey.
The setup I have on my Deck Legend is (using arrow keys):
Alt+Down - Play/Pause
Alt+Left - Previous
Alt+Right - Next
Alt+Up - Stop
Ctrl+Alt+Down - Mute
Ctrl+Alt+Left - Volume Down
Ctrl+Alt+Right - Volume Up
Ctrl+Alt+Up - Open default media player

My AHK script is compiled to an exe, which I've placed a shortcut to in Startup so it always runs when the computer starts. Other nifty things the script does for me is allow Ctrl+V in console windows like Command Prompt and PowerShell.

The frame of the Deck Legend is made by Deck's parent company, TG3 electronics, and is the same frame they use for the keyboards they produce to go inside police cars. The keyboard weighs about 4 lbs. if that tells you anything about how sturdy it is.

The only switch choices it comes in are Blacks and Clears, which are stiffer Browns, and like you I love Blacks.

As for backlighting, the Deck Legend has an individual LED under each key, as opposed to a handful of LED's and a bunch of light diffusers under most keyboards.

It also uses Costar stabilizers as opposed to Cherry stabilizers, so the long keys feel like the rest of the keyboard instead of feeling mushy.

Then there's the thing I mentioned earlier about how the keys will never rub off, because the black dye for the keys is subliminated into the melted white plastic of the cap to make a permanent black that's partt of the key itself around everything but the letter.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9
#30ygfbvPosted 11/11/2013 8:14:52 PM
CM Storm Quickfire TK. Blue.
---
http://www.anime-planet.com/images/users/signatures/ygfbv.jpg