This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

CPU temperatures are jumping too high specifically when playing LOTR: WITN

#1zxelmanPosted 11/10/2013 7:19:36 PM(edited)
It's a Sager laptop. Check quote for further specs. I'm using an Ivy Bridge i7, and for some reason, this game kicks my laptop's CPU into high gears. Settings are at maximum and frame rate is 60, but I get stutters that can last at most up to 2 seconds. Temperatures rise as high as 99 C according to CPUID HWmonitor.

Playing other games has the CPU go for around 75 C but it jumps around the place, which has me worrying if there's too much dust or if the thermal paste is wearing thin. The laptop is a year and a half old.

Edit: CPU idles around 68 C doing nothing but browsing. Are these temps just overall high or normal?

Also did a scan for viruses and checked Task Manager. Nothing found, and nothing else was taking up the processor usage but the games itself.
#2Flaktrooper123Posted 11/10/2013 7:19:47 PM
Check if your internal fan is working. It is usually pretty reliable, but it can be dead sometimes. When you switch on your computer, did you notice the fan sound is missing?

Also, you may want to get yourself a laptop cooler.
#3fataliPosted 11/10/2013 7:23:21 PM(edited)
Your heatsink could be cover in dust, use a can of compressed air to clean the exhaust.

68 on idle is high, which could be caused by dirt covering the ventilation port.
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.
#4zxelman(Topic Creator)Posted 11/10/2013 7:22:54 PM
Flaktrooper123 posted...
Check if your internal fan is working. It is usually pretty reliable, but it can be dead sometimes. When you switch on your computer, did you notice the fan sound is missing?

Also, you may want to get yourself a laptop cooler.

I already bought a laptop cooler, but broke within a year. This is the one I got.

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-NotePal-Cooling-R9-NBC-4WAK-GP/dp/B002MU1ZRS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1384140027&sr=8-2&keywords=laptop+cooler

The fan sound isn't missing as the computer boots up, and doesn't act anything out of the ordinary. The fan gets really loud playing LOTR though.
#5ThePCElitistPosted 11/10/2013 7:23:53 PM
99c is definitely a cause for concern here. I would take it apart and clean out any dust that may be trapped inside of the vents or on the components. If you were capping at 75c then I'd say it would be okay.
---
When I'm Miqo'te
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3LGf9SSWrU
#6zxelman(Topic Creator)Posted 11/10/2013 7:29:22 PM
If I were to get any compressed air cans, what would any of you suggest? I can't remember what I did with the other one. I'd imagine having a re-fillable one would be convenient.

Also, any suggestions on actual good laptop coolers that probably won't break within a year?

Also the laptop, after not doing anything but browsing for 10 more minutes, finally reaches 57 C idling if that's any better. Probably should've waited longer to get more accurate idling temps.
#7DeathblzPosted 11/10/2013 7:29:23 PM
I would guess either dust is clogging the fans or the thermal paste was applied improperly.

Ivy Bridge runs pretty warm in the first place (potentially due to cheap thermal paste used under the heat spreader), but 68 C is very high for idling. 99C should be unacceptable for gaming, even in a laptop.

If it's still under warranty, you should send it in. Otherwise, you might want to consider taking it apart to clean the fans and reapply the thermal paste. The heat isn't good for the laptop's lifespan.
---
Keep on charging the enemy so long as there is life.
#8zxelman(Topic Creator)Posted 11/10/2013 7:43:42 PM
If it helps, IC diamond thermal paste was applied by XoticPC. Not sure if they'd even want to do it improperly to begin with, but is the thermal paste already wearing out after this long?
#9zxelman(Topic Creator)Posted 11/10/2013 9:22:53 PM
Alright, I managed to clean the dust a bit without compressed air. It's down to 70-75 C when playing LOTR and even lower in other games. I had to use a frame limiter to keep the game from running too fast as well. The laptop now idles at 40 C.
#10daemon_danPosted 11/10/2013 9:28:23 PM
zxelman posted...
Alright, I managed to clean the dust a bit without compressed air. It's down to 70-75 C when playing LOTR and even lower in other games. I had to use a frame limiter to keep the game from running too fast as well. The laptop now idles at 40 C.

Get some compressed air and do it more. you could likely see some more drop in temp
---
"Frightened by your own smell. Bitterness will run you through."
~In Flames: Bullet Ride