This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can someone explain to me why alienware is garbage

#21PooTPosted 11/11/2013 4:32:45 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#22PhilOnDezPosted 11/11/2013 7:24:12 AM
I'm kind of confused as to what you're asking for, you said you already bought parts and just need a case but you're looking for a laptop?

Did you buy a mobile CPU and MXM cards? Because I'm pretty sure the Haswell and IB laptop CPUs are BGA, meaning they're soldered to the board. While it's -possible- to replace them it's typically not something an end user would do.

There is such a thing as a 'mobile workstation' that will accept desktop LGA2011 CPUs but those start at $3000 or so before the CPU is even factored into the price and still use MXM cards, there's no way to fit a desktop gpu into a laptop, though there are ways to use them externally if you buy certain kits. They're also massive and most don't even have batteries. I kinda doubt Dell (Alienware) even makes those. Clevo Sager would be the people I look to for one of those.

If you're just looking for a desktop case then Silverstone's Sugo line is about as small as it comes. The Alienware Aurora case is pretty sexy and trim as well, but their standard cases aren't portable at all so I doubt that's what you're looking for.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#23Hi CPosted 11/11/2013 7:51:15 AM
Same crap parts in Dells other lines just in a snazzy case and an Apple Tax like mark up.
---
You'll be my John G.
#24TerraUniversePosted 11/11/2013 8:28:19 AM
Alienware is just a company that build gaming computers for you. It's more expensive.

You could build the computer yourself as well.

There are also other companies that build computers as well.
#25TehPwnzererPosted 11/11/2013 8:33:38 AM
I honestly wonder if the people who criticize Alienware for overpricing their computers, are the same people who criticize Georgio Armani for over pricing his suits.
#26TerraUniversePosted 11/11/2013 8:51:18 AM
TehPwnzerer posted...
I honestly wonder if the people who criticize Alienware for overpricing their computers, are the same people who criticize Georgio Armani for over pricing his suits.

The difference is that Armani suits are of higher quality and use different materials and such, while Alienware doesn't really provide a unique software or hardware, it just organizes the material.

Alienware can be good if you want someone else to build the computer for you.

It's not like Apple, where Apple makes its own software and hardware and that's why Apple's are sold for a premium.
#27happyscrub1Posted 11/11/2013 9:16:08 AM(edited)
Can someone explain to me why ford is garbage? My issue is that I already have a truck, but just want to take off the ford logo and put it on the truck I already have. I can't find the logos on ebay. So I'm looking to buy a ford truck just for the logo.

---
Never forget.... Building #7
#28SnipeStarPosted 11/11/2013 9:32:06 AM
what a failure of a topic
---
i7 3820 / Corsair H80i | Asus Sabertooth X79 | 2x GTX 680 4GB | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x 600GB Raptor / 2x 1TB WD RE3 | Corsair HX1000w | Silverstone RV01
#29akuma634Posted 11/11/2013 3:18:32 PM
They make more stylish products and have brand recognition so they can market themselves as a premium company. It's just you aren't paying for the best, the company will cut corners and see to it that they make the biggest profits at your expense. Kind of like Razer.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/akuma634
#30KillerTrufflePosted 11/11/2013 3:24:40 PM
Like some others, I'm also a bit confused here. You say you want something "big enough to hold your parts." What parts? You already have laptop parts you want to install? You realize you cannot put desktop parts in a laptop, right?

This entire topic/question is awfully confusing. Desktop video cards, desktop RAM, desktop motherboards, etc. are not compatible with laptops. Entirely different hardware. What hardware do you have that you're intending to put in a laptop case?
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23