This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can someone explain to me why alienware is garbage

#31LaMichael_JamesPosted 11/11/2013 3:04:31 PM
tc you need to save your money, you're going to be poor forever studying art
---
bust rb
#32TheOtherGuyXPosted 11/11/2013 3:21:33 PM
My friend ordered an Alienware a while back even after I warned him. They legit put a gt 545 in it, despite him purchasing the model that was supposed to have a GTX 660. It also had obvious heat issues using a cramped, flashy case trying to look like a derpy console with terrible cooling. He learned his lesson and prompty returned it.
---
"The only thing that comes to a sleeping man is dreams."
#33KillerTrufflePosted 11/11/2013 3:29:22 PM
TheOtherGuyX posted...
My friend ordered an Alienware a while back even after I warned him. They legit put a gt 545 in it, despite him purchasing the model that was supposed to have a GTX 660. It also had obvious heat issues using a cramped, flashy case trying to look like a derpy console with terrible cooling. He learned his lesson and prompty returned it.

You sure he didn't order an iBuyPower machine? Cuz replacing the parts you ordered with weaker parts is more of an iBuyPower/CyberpowerPC thing.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#3430aught6Posted 11/11/2013 3:37:11 PM
josh_b posted...
claytonbuckley posted...
Same reason Razer is garbage.

poorly made stuff covered in pretty lights that costs about 5 times what it's worth.

^^^^
This man right here has hit the nail on the head.

More LEDs = better build quality.
---
| i7-3930K | MSI Big Bang-XPower II | GTX 680 4GB X2 | CORSAIR DDR3 32GB | Thermaltake TP Grand 1200W | Seagate 240GB SSD | WD Black 4TB | Fractal Define XLR2 |
#35lulzace(Topic Creator)Posted 11/11/2013 8:15:45 PM(edited)
PhilOnDez posted...
kinda long

Laptop case. I literally need the grade of comp i could make with the parts in laptop form. Having seen the inside of a 18's case it's literally what I need but I don't want to pay 2k for that thing just to use the case and end up with a bunch of parts that I either wouldn't be able to do anything with or would have to find yet another case to use.

I have a set of each laptop and desktop so I could literally make a laptop about the same grade as a desktop since the parts are more or less the same performance wise. And it's more of one that runs on the level of a desktop. If a desktop would suffice I'd just shut up and go get the processors for it and put it together but the fact is I move around too much. I get called in. And it doesn't take me long to do basic models so If I have it with me instead of that whole "get back to you" thing I can get most of it out of the way see what they like/want/need take notes categorize/file them in my laptop and notebook in the case I need to draw something and be on my way. Really restricting myself to a desktop would lessen my workload. I can run stuff on this thing but I really DO need to upgrade so I might as well aim for the best I can get.

Dell just needs to sell the laptop cases. the stuff they give you is garbage and the only thing worth a damn is the case.

happyscrub1 posted...
Can someone explain to me why ford is garbage? My issue is that I already have a truck, but just want to take off the ford logo and put it on the truck I already have. I can't find the logos on ebay. So I'm looking to buy a ford truck just for the logo.

You are implying I wanted the brand. I don't.

I want the case because, as I have said, it is the only case I've seen that I'd be able to modify to the extent I need it to. I was asking about laptop cases similar in size to that one and made where I can switch parts in and out as I need to much like a gaming laptop. Not that I wont have to get some of the parts soldered on, just that I need the flexibility to have the programs I use on a regular basis run at top performance.

With the parts I have all I'd have to go do is go get 2 processors compatible with my desktop parts and meant for a desktop, since all the ones I have are meant for laptops, and I'd have a better computer than a AW.

For Alienware: I was just wondering what was bad about them other than the obvious.

And hey while I'm at it I'd ask about the case since I've been looking in to it for a while now but had no luck. And I know it IS possible to get a case but that in ad of it self is the feat that is not easy by any margin. It will take time. I was just hoping to speed up the process.

Long story short the 18 sucks b/c the hardware is sub par and the only good thing about it is that it can have 2 Hard Drives, and 3 processors. It has the interface and space for it. Thats all that matters about the 18.

Lights are 2edgy. Grill is 2hardcore. Face plate thing is ugly. Reminds me of sports cars. But the case is optimal for my customization needs.
#36Lady UnePosted 11/11/2013 7:53:11 PM
They aren't.

They are just overpriced.

Back in the day you could maybe play the Customer Service card, but now-a-days the web gives you free access to most any type of tech support you need.
---
Leader of the Elder Cult of Jiub.
I still love Scribs.
#37PhilOnDezPosted 11/11/2013 8:10:52 PM(edited)
lulzace posted...
Laptop case. I literally need the grade of comp i could make with the parts in laptop form. Having seen the inside of a 18's case it's literally what I need but I don't want to pay 2k for that thing just to use the case and end up with a bunch of parts that I either wouldn't be able to do anything with or would have to find yet another case to use.

The M18x comes with a proprietary mobo (like literally every laptop on the market) with a BGA cpu. There's not really any customizing it after the fact.

You are implying I wanted the brand I don't I purely want the case because, as I have said, it is the only case I've seen that I'd be able to modify to the extent I need it to. I was asking about large laptop cases similiar in size to that one and made where I can switch parts in and out as I need to much like a gaming laptop.

Again, your customization is really limited. If you have some MXM cards you'd be able to swap those out but that and maybe exchanging the wireless card for one with bluetooth and swapping out the HDDs is about all you could do to it with aftermarket parts.

With the parts I have all I'd have to go do is go get 2 processors compatable with my parts and meant for a desktop, since all the ones I have are meant for laptops, and I'd have a better computer than a AW. I was just wondering what was bad about them other than the obvious.

...Wat? You aren't running multiple CPUs with any iSeries CPU like would be included with the m18x. That's just not an option, there's no chipset that supports that. If you want multiple CPUs you need to look into intel's Xeon stuff, but that's going to be desktop only.

And hey while I'm at it I'd ask about the case since I've been looking in to it for a while now but had no luck. And I know it IS possible to get a case but that in ad of it self is the feat that is not easy by any margin. It will take time. I was just hoping to speed up the process.

In short until I can find a case similar to the 18 in terms of space/interface my best option is to spend 2k for the lowest quality 18. Replace both hard drives with my own, replace the 2 main processors(and the third sub one if it ever poses an issue), reinstall the programs from the dish I took out to control the unnecessary extras on the machine just to make sure they don't flip out on their own. And then possibly replace the fans and get a outside cooling system since most laptops are garbage at cooling and I don't want my processors dying.

I have laptop parts and desktop parts the only things I don't have are desktop processors and a laptop case/shell that can meet the needs of what I want to put in it. Weight doesn't matter to me I just want my setup to be optimal for my purposes.

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/CcO

Make something like that. If you want to build your own and keep it completely mobile and self contained that's pretty much your only option.

And getting a desktop is not an option because I make graphics, designs, shirts, tattoo designs, working on comics, 3d modeling for various purposes some including but not limited to the things previously listed. That and Sony Vegas takes up too much memory.

Again, wat?
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez