This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

According to John Carmack you need a 3.68+ teraflop GPU to match PS4 power

#71PHOENIXZEROPosted 11/11/2013 2:05:09 PM
Launch game comparisons don't show anything because neither new console had a healthy development cycle given the instability of working with unfinished hardware/software and games are largely still being designed around current gen hardware, they're ports be it from current gen or PC. We won't really see what they can do for another year or two and that's only if there's not a current gen version likely holding things back.

The big thing is developers are going to finally be taking more advantage of PC hardware over the next couple years in ways they couldn't designing games around the PS3/XB360 over the last several years given the similarity between platforms once the current gen is totally over with.

Those of us in the mid-range who have been able to run games at 60FPS at 1080P with most if not all video options turned up to high or ultra (well, minus AA and perhaps shadows) over the last few years are going to see our video cards age significantly and quickly when developers are designing and building games around a ten times larger hardware resource budget.
#72SneakiestNegPosted 11/11/2013 2:35:51 PM
How many games that people play on the pc are console ports? How many pc games make hundreds of millions in sale? Could you make mass effect without a decent budget and without the backing of a wealthy dev who can afford to take a risk? Did fallout skyrim or the whitcher make more money on consoles?
#73Kerr AvonPosted 11/11/2013 4:00:46 PM
Ch3wy posted...

People who aren't peasants don't care that much about price/performance. They just want performance.

Gamers want good games, regardless of the performance of hardware. It's only the sad, pathetic no-lifers who rate a machine by it's performance and insist on using insulting phrases like "peasants" (which would be banned, if the Gamefaqs mods did their job, BTW) who care about machine specs.

You can't get a Ferrari as cheap as a Geo Metro but that doesn't make the Geo a better car by any means.

But if a Geo Metro has better mileage, and has more seats, is cheaper to insure, and can hold more shopping, then it's more practical than a Ferrari. Not that (as you imply) PC gaming is the Ferrari of gaming, it's not, no format is.
---
I'm a PC and console gamer - I love good games, regardless of their host system.
For all things N64: http://z9.invisionfree.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/
#74biohazard1775Posted 11/11/2013 4:18:39 PM
Ningishzida posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
GwynsSonSolaire topic.

---
http://i.imgur.com/nrx65Pw.jpg
We should take away their metal boxes!
#75DarkZV2BetaPosted 11/11/2013 7:34:17 PM
SneakiestNeg posted...
Pc gamers are a bunch of cheapskates. Seriously you cant make a decent profit on the pc as a game dev. There is a reason why so many games are on the consoles. Steam sales just make me sad. Might as well go pirate all the way. if we all went pc that would be the end of gaming as we know it.

So you're saying that making 70% of $50 is worse than making 30% of $60?
And then when you factor in used game sales and rentals, 0% profit there...
Might want to work on your math.
---
Even people have toenails. Of course PCs have toenails. -claytonbuckley
#76TimePharaohPosted 11/11/2013 7:35:40 PM
SneakiestNeg posted...
How many games that people play on the pc are console ports? How many pc games make hundreds of millions in sale? Could you make mass effect without a decent budget and without the backing of a wealthy dev who can afford to take a risk? Did fallout skyrim or the whitcher make more money on consoles?

So what you're saying is peasants like terrible games?

Why would I want them to make Mass Effect?
---
HE are genius, firstly. - ASlaveObeys
GestapoFAQs http://i.imgur.com/prqCDHz.png http://i.imgur.com/ooNGE4u.png
#77I aM tHe LeGeNdPosted 11/11/2013 7:59:05 PM
Carmack better start making more games and good ones too.

Rage should have a better ending and a much better MP.
---
AMD Phenom II X4 980@3.7ghz, 12GB RAM DDR3, 1TB HD, Geforce GTX 660 AMP!, 21.5", Win7
Intel Core i3 2350M@2.3ghz, 4GB RAM DDR3, 320GB HD, 15.6", Win7
#78MangorushXIIIPosted 11/11/2013 8:12:24 PM
I'll take Carmack words than a bunch of man children who refuses or can't accept the fact that the PS4 is powerful and better than a gaming PC. So PS4>>>Gaming PC, live with it man children.
#79PraetorXynPosted 11/11/2013 8:14:28 PM
The only thing Carmack could put out to make me pay any attention whatsoever to him would be Quake 4 (that game called Quake 4 was terrible, so I don't count that one).
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9
#80DarkZV2BetaPosted 11/11/2013 8:28:08 PM
MangorushXIII posted...
I'll take Carmack words than a bunch of man children who refuses or can't accept the fact that the PS4 is powerful and better than a gaming PC. So PS4>>>Gaming PC, live with it man children.

I would too.
too bad Carmack never said anything so silly.
---
Even people have toenails. Of course PCs have toenails. -claytonbuckley