This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

If Microsoft sells the Xbox division, would that benefit PC Windows gaming?

#1GabrezuPosted 11/11/2013 7:18:07 AM
I think we are all familiar with that rumor. I wonder how that will affect PC gaming on Windows which currently basically represents the whole of PC gaming.

According to TotalBiscuit, which I watch from time to time, Microsoft is really neglecting gaming on the PC right now because it is competing with the Xbox. Also, people like Gaben have expressed their negative views on the Windows 8 OS for gaming.

So, if Microsoft were to sell it off, wouldn't that stop them from having a conflict of interest and improve their OS as a premium gaming platform? Should we hope for it?
#2rusty12000Posted 11/11/2013 7:23:59 AM
I doubt it because Steam is making all the money.
---
Everything EA contributed to gamers around the world in one youtube clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBoesEFWZnM
#3GoIrish80Posted 11/11/2013 7:39:20 AM
I find it crazy on the basis of who would actually buy an entire console division?

1) It's going to cost A LOT of money
2) How many companies out there would look at that situation and think that it's a good idea long term?

It just doesn't make much sense to me. No one in the gaming industry already woudl purchase it, they either couldn't afford it or have no reason to. Activision/EA are probably the only 2 companies in the gaming industry now that could actually afford it and I just don't see them making their games exclusive to 1 system. It would be stupid.

The name everyone is going to think of is Apple but that move would make absolutely no sense on their part.

I'm just not seeing a buyer for that decision.
---
i5-3570k @ 4.2ghz | 16GB DDR3 | Nvidia 670 2GB SLI | 1TB HD x2
#4KabtheMentatPosted 11/11/2013 7:52:46 AM
There's no "Xbox division." The Xbox is in the same division as Windows phones and their tablets...which are eating ass. The console side is WAAAY more successful than those other two items. It would make more sense for MS to give up on the phone and tablet thing.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson
#5AsucaHayashiPosted 11/11/2013 7:57:18 AM
console gaming before microsoft was an era of 1st and 3rd party exclusives with niches that made nearly every single one of them worth owning.

so yes, it can only be a good thing if their console division dies a swift and horrible death.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy. http://www.steamgamesales.com/
#6KaiRyusakiPosted 11/11/2013 8:00:24 AM
Microsoft publishes some great games, would love it if they came back to PC

as a publisher and nothing more
#7Gabrezu(Topic Creator)Posted 11/11/2013 11:44:28 AM
rusty12000 posted...
I doubt it because Steam is making all the money.

Even if Steam is making most of the profit, being a premium gaming platform will help MS to sell more OS instead of having gamers migrate to SteamOS or Linux.

GoIrish80 posted...
I find it crazy on the basis of who would actually buy an entire console division....

I guess that's for the business people to find out. What I'm interested in is suppose they sell it, what would be the effect on PC gaming.

KabtheMentat posted...
There's no "Xbox division." The Xbox is in the same division as Windows phones and their tablets...which are eating ass. The console side is WAAAY more successful than those other two items. It would make more sense for MS to give up on the phone and tablet thing.

According to this article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Product_Divisions

The division responsible for the Xbox is distinct from the one responsible for Windows. Anyway, it doesn't matter what makes sense for them to do. I'd just like your opinion on the effect on PC gaming.

AsucaHayashi posted...
console gaming before microsoft was an era of 1st and 3rd party exclusives with niches that made nearly every single one of them worth owning.

so yes, it can only be a good thing if their console division dies a swift and horrible death.

So, you are saying that the Xbox made it so that there are less exclusives. Isn't that a good thing, to not have exclusive? After all, I'd rather buy the system I like and be able to play any game I want. Consoles will have to compete through cheaper prices, best services and more performance hardware. I won't be forced to buy one system just because there is an exclusive game on it I want to play. I mean I own a Wii and a 360 in addition to my gaming PC. I'd much rather not have these 2 consoles if I could play their games on my PC and save myself some cash.

If we follow your logic about "every single one of them worth owning" to an extreme, it would mean it would be a good thing to have as many consoles as there are great games. Each good game would be an exclusive to one console. Since all those console have a great exclusive, it would make all of them "worth owning". That would make every game cost $200-$500. I know this is a ridiculous situation, but I'm just using it to argue against exclusives.
#8YoungAdultLinkPosted 11/11/2013 11:46:53 AM
GoIrish80 posted...
I find it crazy on the basis of who would actually buy an entire console division?

2) How many companies out there would look at that situation and think that it's a good idea long term?

It just doesn't make much sense to me. No one in the gaming industry already woudl purchase it, they either couldn't afford it or have no reason to. Activision/EA are probably the only 2 companies in the gaming industry now that could actually afford it and I just don't see them making their games exclusive to 1 system. It would be stupid.

The name everyone is going to think of is Apple but that move would make absolutely no sense on their part.

It'd be like Activision/Blizzard buying itself. One big investment firm wants Microsoft to just dump the gaming division and make it its own company, rather than continue on with it, not try to sell it to another company.
---
Once we perfect building Mechs, I expect there to be a factory in Mexico pumping out a brand call Mechsican. I wanna buy me a Mechsican.
steamid: Rohchya
#9SteamsterPosted 11/11/2013 11:50:23 AM
GoIrish80 posted...

They don't need to sell it all at once...

They have like twenty separate first party software studios. They could obviously sell it bit by bit.