This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

anybody play games to learn languages?

#1I_Heart_EeveePosted 11/11/2013 11:39:12 AM
I'm trying to find a good outlet to help me improve my French skills. Don't really want movies or music, so games seem like an enjoyable way to do it. Anybody have some good options? I played the pokemon games before and they're simple enough, but looking for good pc choices as switching steam over to French puts most games to French so it's easier. I tried out borderlands 2. It keeps most of the humor in and seems like a good choice but anybody have any other? something with lots of dialog is best but also something simple to follow if I don't understand an important point
#2lucascgPosted 11/11/2013 11:41:19 AM
I don't really have any suggestion, just writing to say that this is how I learned English, and it is very effective since it provides you with the immersion factor essential to language learning. I am now living in the US and it's all thanks to video games. Good luck on your French learning!
---
F this sig! F... for FABULOUS!
Steam - Luke | PSN - LucasCostantini | 3DS - 5043-1586-1522
#3KabtheMentatPosted 11/11/2013 11:42:34 AM
lucascg posted...
I don't really have any suggestion, just writing to say that this is how I learned English, and it is very effective since it provides you with the immersion factor essential to language learning. I am now living in the US and it's all thanks to video games. Good luck on your French learning!

On your way to becoming an American because of viddy games.

God bless America.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson
#4CloudZ1116Posted 11/11/2013 11:44:12 AM
I was able to greatly boost my Chinese reading skills by playing RoTK IX and X, if that's any encouragement.
---
Intel Core i7 2600k | XFX Radeon HD 7950 | MSI P67A-G45 | Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 16GB | Crucial M4 128GB | WD Cavair Black 1TB | OCZ Fatal1ty 750W
#5DerPancakePosted 11/11/2013 11:46:23 AM
I tried learning Deutsch, by forcing the language in all my games. Now I hate the language.
---
EVGA
#6EciDemonPosted 11/11/2013 11:46:32 AM
English is my second language. If I may say so my self I'm pretty good at it.
What really helped me to improve further was online gaming and voice communication.

Years ago I played Everquest 2 on US servers and voice com was pretty much mandatory.

So my advice is voice com :)
---
| Gigabyte GTX 680 Winforce 3 OC | i7 2600K @4.6Ghz |
| Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 | 8GB DDR3 1600 | X-Fi Titanium champion |
#7KabtheMentatPosted 11/11/2013 11:48:09 AM
EciDemon posted...
English is my second language. If I may say so my self I'm pretty good at it.
What really helped me to improve further was online gaming and voice communication.

Years ago I played Everquest 2 on US servers and voice com was pretty much mandatory.

So my advice is voice com :)

I'm surprised you don't talk like an idiot, because I would imagine a lot of ***** quality mics were used.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson
#8DoramiPosted 11/11/2013 11:55:20 AM
Having native proficiency in 2 language and having gone into voice chats for both, I would definitely not want to learn a language through online games.
---
"...Ashley takes on Lord Blazer alone in a white cape with flowing rockstar hair while playing his impossibly cool sword as a guitar..." - LBoksha
#9PhilOnDezPosted 11/11/2013 11:56:23 AM
I don't really know much about it but there's a French mmo called Wakfu that's pretty popular over there. It also has a tv show. Not sure if it's F2P or sub based or what, but it looks fairly interesting.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#10ShubPosted 11/11/2013 12:01:20 PM
I learned a lot of English back in the day by playing Super Wing Commander on the 3DO. All the dialog was voiced as well as subtitled. I learned a lot of expressions and vocabulary without understanding grammar. At that time there were no English classes for 5th-graders, but it was offered for 6th-graders, so that's when I started learning English grammar, a lot of things started to make sense then, and I still had a comfortable lead on my command of the language, thanks to video games. A couple of years later (1996) I got Internet access and continued to learn through that medium.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.