This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Original Bioshock running hotter than Infinite?

#1Alex_5097Posted 11/11/2013 12:13:55 PM
I'm trying to play Bioshock on my laptop (2.7ghz i7, 650m, 8gb Ram) and I've been having some serious performance issues. It's crashed to a black screen multiple times during gameplay (even on low and 1280x720) and been running extremely hot. I was able to play Infinite on medium-ish just fine and have been running FFXIV ARR also. Any ideas on why this may be happening on a game from 2007?
---
psn - cloudStrife5097 -- SSF4AE: Bison, Cammy BBCS2: Rachel
#2AsucaHayashiPosted 11/11/2013 12:16:06 PM
doesn't matter.

get a cooling pad before your laptop permanently dies.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy. http://www.steamgamesales.com/
#3Alex_5097(Topic Creator)Posted 11/11/2013 12:49:11 PM
It just seems super weird to me. I'd really like to be able to play the game without it crashing. Just checked and it's making my cpu hit 90 degrees at the menu.
---
#4EStar999Posted 11/11/2013 12:53:03 PM
Have you updated the drivers and removed any dust that may be on the inside?
#5Ch3wyPosted 11/11/2013 12:53:41 PM
Do you have vsync on?

You're probably pushing out a lot more frames with BS1, that's the only explanation I can think of.

So turn on vsync.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#6Incendia_IntusPosted 11/11/2013 12:56:43 PM
Ch3wy posted...
Do you have vsync on?

You're probably pushing out a lot more frames with BS1, that's the only explanation I can think of.

So turn on vsync.

---
GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 | i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz| Phantek PH-TC14PE| EVGA GTX 580 | G.SKILL Sniper 8GB | OCZ Vertex 2 40GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | HAF 912 | HX750 750W
#7_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 11/11/2013 1:05:16 PM(edited)
Not sure if this is because of the heat. Crashing to black screen is not exactly what I would expect once you get to dangerously hot temperatures, though it could be that what you are seeing is an emergency shutdown caused by your system registering dangerously high temps. But the way you describe it , it seems like it has more to do with the display driver though I am not sure. Have you tried installing the newest driver for your onboard GPU ?(available from the laptop manufacturer's website). Do you mind posting what kind of temperatures you are getting and with which laptop (brand and model?), I guess people can give you more informed feedback if you do.

Laptop cooling pads are not a great solution. Since there are no vents on the bottom of most laptops, most of them just try to cool the laptop down by cooling the bottom surface instead of providing airflow to components directly. Needless to say, this only has a limited effect. The most I have seen with a traditional cooler is 4-5 degrees. 2-3 degrees can already be reached by simply raising the back of the laptop with a book or something similar.

Your laptop is supposed to be able to handle the heat generated by its components even under full load and for longer durations. If this is not the case, then dust and lint are the most likely culprits. If you had the laptop for a while and it is no longer under warranty, open it up and clean it. If the laptop is relatively new (and there can not be much dust blocking airflow) and you are sure it is a heat issue, then I would make use of the warranty it came with.
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#8Alex_5097(Topic Creator)Posted 11/11/2013 1:36:04 PM
vsync was off for some reason. Also I guess there's a weird problem with the game in win7 x64 where you need to disable extra audio outputs. Seems to be working now!
---
#9AsucaHayashiPosted 11/11/2013 1:51:50 PM
Your laptop is supposed to be able to handle the heat generated by its components even under full load and for longer durations. If this is not the case, then dust and lint are the most likely culprits.

my laptop's gpu died after 2 years even though i regularly cleaned it.

the average temp kept slowly rising until it was idling at around 60-70C on a raised surface(books or whatever).

the only thing i didn't think of was a cooling pad but by then it was already too late.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy. http://www.steamgamesales.com/
#10jake-sfPosted 11/11/2013 1:55:47 PM
Alex_5097 posted...
vsync was off for some reason. Also I guess there's a weird problem with the game in win7 x64 where you need to disable extra audio outputs. Seems to be working now!

I was going to be the first helpful post to tell you you simply had to cap the FPS. VSync does that well enough. Even Doom 1 without VSync can make my computer run as hot as possible. Most games these days have built in cap, but thats what happens when one just lets the FPS run as high as it can, even above your refresh rate (which is a total waste).

I do recommend getting a cooling pad just the same, though.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/SFJake250?feature=watch
http://sfjake.zxq.net/