This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

worth upgrading the ram in this laptop ?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. worth upgrading the ram in this laptop ?

User Info: Keybored123

Keybored123
3 years ago#1
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/pavilion-17-3-laptop-4gb-memory-750gb-hard-drive/2287004.p?id=1219071221794&skuId=2287004&st=categoryid$pcmcat247400050000&cp=1&lp=3

I bought this laptop and Im looking to play some games on it but nothing too demanding. GBA/SNES emulators and games that can be played on a controller like Braid or Super Meat Boy.

What are the quality of games I would be able to play if upgraded to the max 8 GB ? Would it play Dota 2 ?

User Info: LordSeifer

LordSeifer
3 years ago#2
ram is not really a big requirement for games.

if you cant play it now you wont play it with 8 gigs. it might make things a little smoother and faster loading times but thats about it
^ this

User Info: ThePCElitist

ThePCElitist
3 years ago#3
LordSeifer posted...
ram is not really a big requirement for games.

if you cant play it now you wont play it with 8 gigs. it might make things a little smoother and faster loading times but thats about it

But gddr5 ram will make photorealistic games with the power of playstation!
When I'm Miqo'te
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3LGf9SSWrU

User Info: Crimsonkainx

Crimsonkainx
3 years ago#4
A coworker of mine was playing Diablo 3 on an A8-based system just fine. Think his was running 6GB of RAM, of course most games can't access more than 4GB without mods as it is. But if you run a lot of things at once, say your game in Windowed Mode and a few web browser tabs, plus streaming some music if you don't like the game soundtrack, then find a good deal on an 8GB kit and go for it.

User Info: Jocko

Jocko
3 years ago#5
That laptop has an AMD APU so putting in faster speed memory will improve performance because APU's need to use system memory for graphics. Please watch this for proof:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0Z7H1PYUkk

So the amount of memory won't make as much difference as the speed.
The oxygen's leaving my brain!!! --Clucky the Chicken
()===={SWORDSWORDSWORDSWORD> It's my SWORD sword.

User Info: ATARIJAWA

ATARIJAWA
3 years ago#6
Crimsonkainx posted...
A coworker of mine was playing Diablo 3 on an A8-based system just fine. Think his was running 6GB of RAM, of course most games can't access more than 4GB without mods as it is. But if you run a lot of things at once, say your game in Windowed Mode and a few web browser tabs, plus streaming some music if you don't like the game soundtrack, then find a good deal on an 8GB kit and go for it.

D3 isn't a very demanding game on purpose.
Gamefaqs game rating system : 10 = Best Game Ever. 8-9. Crushing dissapointment. Below 8 :Total Garbage. This is getting ridiculous. people agreeing so far 105
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. worth upgrading the ram in this laptop ?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived