This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

star citizen breaks $27 million crowd funding, shatters expectations

#11CloudZ1116Posted 11/11/2013 10:35:39 PM
Starks posted...
Nah, it'll be genre-defining like Freespace 2 was

That kind of depends on how you look at it... On one hand, Freespace 2 gave us such gems as Silent Threat: Reborn and Blue Planet, but on the other hand, it didn't exactly sell that great.
---
Intel Core i7 2600k | XFX Radeon HD 7950 | MSI P67A-G45 | Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 16GB | Crucial M4 128GB | WD Cavair Black 1TB | OCZ Fatal1ty 750W
#12KabtheMentatPosted 11/11/2013 10:38:16 PM
Lady Une posted...
What a gross and excessive waste of money just for a video game.

People who gave them money should feel ashamed. Think of all the good they could have done with that money.

For example: If you gave every person in the US who was me $27 million dollars I would have $27 million dollars.

For real. People don't realize that is also $27 million in cocaine that could be bought for a slammin' party, 80s style.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson
#13dermoratrakenPosted 11/11/2013 10:46:08 PM
Is it really a surprise? Just because it's not call of duty back to the future warfare 18 or assassin's creed nato flag the publishers turned it down. In reality, people have been hoping for a real good space sim for quite a while. All those wing commander nerds from two decades ago and the freelancer nerds from one decade ago grew up, got nerd jobs, became rich, and are willing to back the project.
#14Mogu_MoguPosted 11/11/2013 11:03:37 PM
dermoratraken posted...
Is it really a surprise? Just because it's not call of duty back to the future warfare 18 or assassin's creed nato flag the publishers turned it down. In reality, people have been hoping for a real good space sim for quite a while. All those wing commander nerds from two decades ago and the freelancer nerds from one decade ago grew up, got nerd jobs, became rich, and are willing to back the project.

It's not even that. It's just anyone sick and tired of the boring crappy video games that we get these days with zero thought put into them.

Seriously, most game developers these days are full of 20 something year olds. Have you been to college? Do you know what 20 something year olds do these days? Get drunk a lot, pass college with minimal effort, go on to take whatever job their connections can get them. It's no wonder the games we've been getting are mostly stupid. Games made by stupid people should not be expected to be genius.

If not that then they're just corporate CEO types which have nothing better to do and thus are just in it for the money. They'll just market anything to anyone that will buy it. And that's where the most money is at. Most people are stupid, most people are willing to buy whatever stupid thing comes out next so long as they can play it and enjoy it. Most money will come from playing to the stupid.

Chris Roberts and team made genre defining games that defined PC gaming back then and helped to make PC gaming what it is today. I trust their vision because whatever it is it will hopefully have more thought and care than the crap I keep seeing over and over.

The only oversight with Star Citizen is that the number of people fed up with Stupid Shooter 8 following Stupid Shooter 7 was numbering in the hundreds of thousands and were willing to fund a vision for a game worth playing.

The reason these hundreds of thousands don't compare is that there are literally millions more out there who are willing to just pay 60 bucks and play Rehashed Shooter 5 with literally nothing defining that changes it from Rehashed Shooter 4 or at least nothing of value.
---
In the chronicles of my life
there is a legend in which I change 'history' into 'herstory'.
#15KabtheMentatPosted 11/11/2013 11:06:17 PM
Pretentious Levels: Off the chart.
---
Skillz Ferguson
#16Mogu_MoguPosted 11/11/2013 11:08:27 PM
KabtheMentat posted...

Doesn't matter; I'm still right.
---
In the chronicles of my life
there is a legend in which I change 'history' into 'herstory'.
#17KabtheMentatPosted 11/11/2013 11:11:00 PM
Self Importance Levels: Out of this world.
---
Skillz Ferguson
#18NingishzidaPosted 11/12/2013 2:54:36 AM
KabtheMentat posted...

shut your butthole, u jus jelly cuz u r illiterati
#19NingishzidaPosted 11/12/2013 2:55:28 AM
KabtheMentat posted...
Self Importance Levels: Out of this world.

IQ level: In the negatives
#20g7g7g7g7Posted 11/12/2013 8:12:09 AM
snkboi posted...
someguyshand posted...
DerPancake posted...
and GTA V was more 200 million.

Also how much money does it take to reach the AAA category?

How much of that went into marketing?

around $100 million

Bare minimum, I would say at least 75% of it. There is not $25 million dollars of game.
---
You never see people quoting each other in sigs anymore. - Adam Laz