This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I created a ramdisk/ramdrive for gamers. Here, have some product keys!

#31ChetyrePosted 11/12/2013 3:22:18 AM(edited)
I wrote you an email on your site asking for a trial because my computer has some very specific circumstances (it is a virtual machine with vga passthrough, I don't foresee any trouble but I wanted to be sure), and you never answered.
---
"Beyond The Beaten Path Lies The Absolute End. It Matters Not Who You Are, Death Awaits You." Nyx Avatar
#32Marioface5Posted 11/12/2013 3:52:28 AM
So doesn't this kind of defeat the point of getting an SSD for the most part, at least if the only reason someone has for getting one is speed? Also, if you don't mind, I have a few questions about how all of this works.

1. How much of a performance boost should really be expected from this? I was under the impression that framerate issues and the like were caused by GPU and/or CPU problems for the most part. Should just improved loading times be expected, or will there be an overall performance boost? I wonder how much of an effect, if any, this would have on an emulator like Dolphin.

2. Do the files need to be copied to the RAM, and if so how long does it take to load and unload files? Is it practical to use Dimmdrive when switching between different games frequently?

3. Do you need to have enough RAM to cover a game's install size, or even more than that? And if more, how much more? I know the home page mentions a "LESS RAM?" option, but how can you play a game while only loading some of the files? Or does that just somehow make it so that some of the files are handled by Dimmdrive while the rest are handled normally? How would I know which files to have Dimmdrive handle in that situation?

4. This is probably a stupid question, but just to be sure, does Dimmdrive do anything permanent to RAM, or no? Like I said, probably a stupid question, but I would hate to accidentally mess anything up.

Thanks again for the giveaway!
---
The world gets weirder every day.
PSN: Marioface5
#33ChetyrePosted 11/12/2013 4:02:13 AM(edited)
Marioface5 posted...
So doesn't this kind of defeat the point of getting an SSD for the most part, at least if the only reason someone has for getting one is speed? Also, if you don't mind, I have a few questions about how all of this works.

1. How much of a performance boost should really be expected from this? I was under the impression that framerate issues and the like were caused by GPU and/or CPU problems for the most part. Should just improved loading times be expected, or will there be an overall performance boost? I wonder how much of an effect, if any, this would have on an emulator like Dolphin.

2. Do the files need to be copied to the RAM, and if so how long does it take to load and unload files? Is it practical to use Dimmdrive when switching between different games frequently?

3. Do you need to have enough RAM to cover a game's install size, or even more than that? And if more, how much more? I know the home page mentions a "LESS RAM?" option, but how can you play a game while only loading some of the files? Or does that just somehow make it so that some of the files are handled by Dimmdrive while the rest are handled normally? How would I know which files to have Dimmdrive handle in that situation?

4. This is probably a stupid question, but just to be sure, does Dimmdrive do anything permanent to RAM, or no? Like I said, probably a stupid question, but I would hate to accidentally mess anything up.

I'm not anything, but I can answer some of that at least.

0 - Yes it invalidates speed reasons, but only for games or what else you put in it. The OS still benefits from SSDs.

3 - It probably loads only the files it knows takes long to load from HDDs, like maps and textures. This would probably be a per-game profile in the program.

4 - Everything that happens in RAM is deleted when your computer powers off. It can't store anything, so no you wouldn't damage it.
---
"Beyond The Beaten Path Lies The Absolute End. It Matters Not Who You Are, Death Awaits You." Nyx Avatar
#34daemon_danPosted 11/12/2013 4:04:25 AM
Chetyre posted...
Marioface5 posted...

I'm not anything, but I can answer some of that at least.

0 - Yes it invalidates speed reasons, but only for games or what else you put in it. The OS still benefits from SSDs.

3 - It probably loads only the files it knows takes long to load from HDDs, like maps and textures. This would probably be a per-game profile in the program.

4 - Everything that happens in RAM is deleted when your computer powers off. It can't store anything, so no you wouldn't damage it.

One more thing is if you splurge on an SSD and just get 8GB of RAM, you can use this on games with lower GB install size while keepin other games on the SSD
---
"Frightened by your own smell. Bitterness will run you through."
~In Flames: Bullet Ride
#35Marioface5Posted 11/12/2013 4:09:42 AM
Cool, thanks for the answers!
---
The world gets weirder every day.
PSN: Marioface5
#36Mad_Mike86Posted 11/12/2013 6:34:08 AM
Have any more TC? all were used by the time I got home.
---
"All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke
GT - Mad Mike86
#37Cool_Dude667Posted 11/12/2013 6:54:31 AM
Mad_Mike86 posted...
Have any more TC? all were used by the time I got home.

this :(
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi
#38PanopictonguyPosted 11/12/2013 7:42:38 AM
Has anyone had any problems similar to me with games? I haven't tried it again yet. I would love it if someone could help nee trouble shoot these issues. I really wanna try Naruto because the load times between matches is horrendous for it to be in PC
---
Oh, you thought they made this game for you? You clearly bought the wrong game.
#39call of dutyPosted 11/12/2013 7:49:34 AM
How does this work? Do you load everything into RAM or something? How will it work if I only have 8GB and BF4 is something like 13GB?
---
Number of people who claim that I'm an idiot because of my username, even though they were not born when I created my account nor ever played the first CoD: 14
#40EternalFlame66Posted 11/12/2013 7:53:06 AM
neeed more keys please
---
Such is your fate.