This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What's the latest most stable Nvidia driver?

#21Orestes417Posted 11/12/2013 11:49:50 AM(edited)
That's hardly a representative sample. For all we know it could've been one of the cards that would've been bad from the factory with any sufficiently large run that coincidentally failed when we installed the new drivers. Now if we did a few thousand and got a 1/10 figure then you could break out the pitchforks

The drivers themselves very clearly aren't the issue but the trigger. If the drivers were the issue it'd be more like 10/10 cards of the same type exhibiting the same symptoms.

---
I am the mighty thesaurus! RAWR!
#22r0ge00Posted 11/12/2013 11:53:57 AM
Kokuei05 posted...
314.22 still?

Yep. Anything newer causes cashes and artifacting. GTX 460 here.
#23nobleisthynamePosted 11/12/2013 12:48:34 PM
I have a 560 TI with the latest drivers and I have had no problems.
---
http://i.imgur.com/q9ZP3.jpg http://i.imgur.com/rBKxd.gif
#24ShebeskiiPosted 11/12/2013 12:52:41 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
Still 314.22 on both my systems.

All I've noticed wrong with it is in Skyrim, while sneaking the world seems to clip when I roll, like I can for a moment see through the walls.
It's a minor artifact though.

-Edit
Forgot to say, 560m and 9600gt are my cards.
There is no value in updating the 9600gt machine so I don't bother unless it's actually broken for some reason.
The 560m has broken on every driver update, including the latest beta. Latest blue screens when firefox opens.

Have you ever stress tested your 560m? BSODs aren't driver related a significant majority of the time. If you're on W7 or above, I don't even think the graphics driver can BSOD the system...
---
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens
#25ShebeskiiPosted 11/12/2013 12:55:20 PM
Orestes417 posted...
I suspect it's because they aren't sure exactly what causes it and how widespread it actually is. Can't really hold up progress on new tech forever because a subset of people are unfortunate enough to have issues that can be worked around by running older drivers.

To give you an idea of why troubleshooting it is so annoying, back when people were first hitting the issues and posting like it was the apocalypse I got together with a buddy of mine who runs a shop and broke out 10 560s he had laying around in stock and we did a little informal experiment. Of the cards seven worked perfectly fine, two exhibited instability and one got bricked. Same brand, same SKU, different results. The only thing you can really conclude form that is some people just have terrible luck.

I've been espousing this the whole time.

People deny hardware issues and blame drivers all the time, but never stress test or try to isolate why their GPU is crashing.

Nvidia has an ass track record when it comes to reliability, but their drivers just aren't the culprit.
---
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens
#26ShebeskiiPosted 11/12/2013 12:57:19 PM(edited)
JKatarn posted...
Orestes417 posted...
I suspect it's because they aren't sure exactly what causes it and how widespread it actually is. Can't really hold up progress on new tech forever because a subset of people are unfortunate enough to have issues that can be worked around by running older drivers.

To give you an idea of why troubleshooting it is so annoying, back when people were first hitting the issues and posting like it was the apocalypse I got together with a buddy of mine who runs a shop and broke out 10 560s he had laying around in stock and we did a little informal experiment. Of the cards seven worked perfectly fine, two exhibited instability and one got bricked. Same brand, same SKU, different results. The only thing you can really conclude form that is some people just have terrible luck.

Um yikes...1/10 560s bricked? I'd be charging Nvidia's headquarters with pitchforks and torches if I happened to be a 560 owner unfortunate enough to try newer drivers. That is absolutely unacceptable and clearly the drivers should have been tested more thoroughly in their labs.

Drivers don't brick the GPUs, the GPU was already gonna brick.

New drivers push cards harder. It's only natural that some, especially with age, can't handle it.

If drivers could fry hardware (outside of disabling cooling of course), we'd have viruses bricking CPUs day and night. It's not how it works.
---