This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Ok Master Race, time to talk OC on a i5 3570k

#1protools1983Posted 11/12/2013 8:40:11 AM
Time to take the governor off this bad boy and see what it can do....

1. Any suggestions for an aftermarket cooler?

2. I have an MSI Z77 (forget the rest), any suggestions on a clock/voltage combo?

What are some things I should be thinking about but probably aren't?
---
Stand up for consumer rights! Vote with your dollar! Boycott Xbox One!!!
#2EciDemonPosted 11/12/2013 8:54:20 AM
The Noctua tower coolers are very good and silent. There's other very good options too. Make sure you have enough room for one.
Overclocking is easy, but do read up on a guide first so you are familiar with the principle so you can customize it for your system. There's plenty to find on google.

The Ivy bridge cpu's tend to run very hot when overclocking due to poorly applied thermal paste under the heat spreader (heat will be the limiting factor on these cpu's) so you get the best results if you carefully remove it and apply better thermal paste. This will void warranty but then again, you should not mess with overclock if you can't afford a failure. Consult videos on Youtube on how to do this.
---
| Gigabyte GTX 680 Winforce 3 OC | i7 2600K @4.6Ghz |
| Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 | 8GB DDR3 1600 | X-Fi Titanium champion |
#3protools1983(Topic Creator)Posted 11/12/2013 9:04:38 AM
EciDemon posted...
The Noctua tower coolers are very good and silent. There's other very good options too. Make sure you have enough room for one.
Overclocking is easy, but do read up on a guide first so you are familiar with the principle so you can customize it for your system. There's plenty to find on google.

The Ivy bridge cpu's tend to run very hot when overclocking due to poorly applied thermal paste under the heat spreader (heat will be the limiting factor on these cpu's) so you get the best results if you carefully remove it and apply better thermal paste. This will void warranty but then again, you should not mess with overclock if you can't afford a failure. Consult videos on Youtube on how to do this.

I have some Arctic Silver but I am confused, applying new thermal paste voids the CPU warranty or adding an aftermarket cooler?
---
#4urtvPosted 11/12/2013 9:06:51 AM
ecidemon is talking about between the heat spreader(the top metal part that touches the heatsink and the actual cpu underneath the heat spreader.removing that will void the warranty
#5someflamablekidPosted 11/12/2013 10:51:51 AM
urtv posted...
ecidemon is talking about between the heat spreader(the top metal part that touches the heatsink and the actual cpu underneath the heat spreader.removing that will void the warranty

For OP, that's call de-lidding. Which is supposedly effective but very risky if you don't have the proper tools. Anyway I have a 3570k OC'd at 4.2 with an Asrock Extreme 4 mobo. I didn't touch voltages.
#6BogePosted 11/12/2013 12:25:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnyoJtv9Cx0

I am at 4.4ghz, no voltage changes, with a Hyper 212+. I simply changed it to 4.4ghz in the bios, didn't change anything else.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#7EpicKingdom_Posted 11/12/2013 1:59:56 PM
Tagged.. It's about time I OC mine.
---
The PC gaming Master Race will never die out. We will continue to train, raise, and breed Master Race.
http://www.youtube.com/user/PCGamingMasterRace87/videos
#8ricosan1988Posted 11/12/2013 2:03:49 PM
oced to 4.2, no voltage change for me either. I once had it up to 4.5, but did not want to risk long term deterioration.
---
asrock Z77 extreme4 / i5 3750k oc'd to 4.2 cooled with hyper 212 plus / asus HD7870 directcu ii / gskill ripjaw 8gb / 128 GB Crucial M4 SSD / 1 TB WD Caviar
#9protools1983(Topic Creator)Posted 11/12/2013 2:19:57 PM
Thanks for the tips gents. So, any further discussion on aftermarket cooling?
---
#10PhilOnDezPosted 11/12/2013 2:22:38 PM
I got a pretty lackluster 3570k, my cooler has comparable performance to a 212 Evo and at 4.4ghz I hit 90 degrees. The reason I say my chip is lackluster is because I had to push it to 1.32 volts to get it stable at 4.4 which was the absolute minimum I needed for what I was doing. That was all 4 cores though, and I only needed one so that temperature doesn't bother me since it will never happen while I'm actually using it, with a single core it didn't break 65. I haven't tried pushing a single core higher on its own yet though I intend to at some point since like I said, 4.4 was the minimum I needed, more would still be beneficial.

I'm not sure what the best stability test is, OCCT is what was recommended to me and once OCCT said it was stable I never had another crash. It also has a GPU test, but I haven't OCd my gpu yet as it hasn't been necessary.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez