This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Who owns the rights to the Gauntlet series now?

#1Coffee_NursePosted 11/12/2013 11:51:53 AM
When Midway went under, THQ bought the IP. But, then THQ went under, so who owns it now?

From what I've found through Google, I think either Nordic or WB owns the IP. But, I'm not sure.

I would kill for a port of Dark Legacy on the PC.
---
Behold, thou art fair, my love; behold, thou art fair; thou hast doves' eyes.
#2Freelance_WolfPosted 11/12/2013 12:03:21 PM
I'd kill for a Rampage port on the Vita or 3DS, and I think it was under Midway too before it went under. I'm assuming that I'll never see it on a handheld. I am sad. I'd like to know who owns it now too.
---
Max: "I think he just needs a hug, or a sharp blow to the head."
#3KidInTheHallPosted 11/12/2013 12:05:42 PM
I do. Tell me what you'd like and if you sell me on the idea I'll make you a producer for the next Gauntlet game.
---
i5-3570k | ASRock Z77 Extreme6 | EVGA 560Ti 448 Classified x2 SLI | 16GB G.Skill Ares | Corsair 600T White | 212 EVO | HX750
#4WinpusPosted 11/12/2013 12:12:29 PM
I could only find a few franchises/developer studios that were sold in auction.

According to copyright law in the US, rights that aren't transferred maintain their protected status for 95 years after last publication, or 120 years after creation. Assuming no one purchased the rights to the game, which is possible, or power of attorney wasn't gained by Wells Fargo over the bankruptcy, or by someone else, the Gauntlet series would enter public domain around 2105.
#5Coffee_Nurse(Topic Creator)Posted 11/12/2013 2:48:05 PM
Freelance_Wolf posted...
I'd kill for a Rampage port on the Vita or 3DS, and I think it was under Midway too before it went under. I'm assuming that I'll never see it on a handheld. I am sad. I'd like to know who owns it now too.

You can buy Rampage World Tour off of PSN and transfer it to your Vita, assuming it is still on PSN. That will probably be the closest thing we can have to that.
---
#6KidInTheHallPosted 11/12/2013 2:56:35 PM
Winpus posted...

According to copyright law in the US, rights that aren't transferred maintain their protected status for 95 years after last publication, or 120 years after creation. Assuming no one purchased the rights to the game, which is possible, or power of attorney wasn't gained by Wells Fargo over the bankruptcy, or by someone else, the Gauntlet series would enter public domain around 2105.

Hmmm....I'd only be 124 years old then....I might throw up a bid.
---
i5-3570k | ASRock Z77 Extreme6 | EVGA 560Ti 448 Classified x2 SLI | 16GB G.Skill Ares | Corsair 600T White | 212 EVO | HX750
#7Coffee_Nurse(Topic Creator)Posted 11/12/2013 3:52:24 PM
KidInTheHall posted...
Winpus posted...

Hmmm....I'd only be 124 years old then....I might throw up a bid.

By then, science may have found the cure for death. So, being alive in 2105 to see the proper sequel to G:DL may be a reality.

We only have 92 years left to draft our ideas.
---
#8Freelance_WolfPosted 11/12/2013 4:37:49 PM
Coffee_Nurse posted...
Freelance_Wolf posted...

You can buy Rampage World Tour off of PSN and transfer it to your Vita, assuming it is still on PSN. That will probably be the closest thing we can have to that.

It's not on PSN :(
---
Max: "I think he just needs a hug, or a sharp blow to the head."