This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it kinda dumb to get a mouse with a bunch of extra buttons for FPS games ?

#1Kano92Posted 11/12/2013 12:06:41 PM
I right now I just have a reg mouse with no extra buttons. The reason I would like to get a mouse with extra buttons is that I have a little difficulty in the heat of action my fingers don't contort that well for buttons like z x c q f for games like BF.

I was thinking of getting this mouse, it has two extra buttons on the side. I could set the two extra buttons to the most difficult to reach key board buttons.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=26-104-382

or I could go crazy and get this mouse which had like 6 extra buttons. I could then with this mouse just my left hand for wasd exclusively.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104914

I'm coming from the console background and moving away from the 360. I could use the 360 controller and xpadder but seeing alot people not 100% satisfied with the result, plus being at a disadvantage. Should I just practice more ? Also the DPI just does not seem important some of this gaming brag you can change the dpi on the fly. All I care about is the extra buttons. By the way do have to install software to get the dpi to change on the fly using the dpi buttons on the mouse ? I would rather use the those dpi buttons for something else but not sure if you can do that ? thanks
---
i5 2500k | ASUS P8P67 | CORSAIR 650W | 8GB DDR3 1600 | GTX 660 | 2TB 7200 RPM | Windows 7 64-bit
#2GarquillPosted 11/12/2013 12:15:36 PM
Mice with top-tier sensors have no more than 2 thumb-buttons, and I've yet to hear of players using thumb buttons for anything important in fps anyway

thumb buttons are great to have in general

copypasta of mice with top-tier sensors:

Zowie EC1 evo
Zowie EC2 evo
Zowie AM
Zowie FK
WMO 1.1a
Logitech G400 / G400s
Razer Deathadder
Razer Abyssus
Roccat Savu
CM Storm Spawn
---
backloggery.com/Garquille
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." ~ A. Einstein
#3GarquillPosted 11/12/2013 12:17:35 PM
Pushing extraneous buttons on your mouse will almost always sacrifice your grip/stability/aim, which tends to be bad unless the action you're doing is only ever done when you don't want maximum control
---
backloggery.com/Garquille
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." ~ A. Einstein
#4EciDemonPosted 11/12/2013 12:32:28 PM
Two buttons on the side is great and i honestly can't stand mice that don't have the extra buttons in every day use and work.
I use it for dedicated melee attack and grenades in fps.
In action rpg/mmo i use them for jump/dodge and pair it with a logitech G13 for everything else.
---
| Gigabyte GTX 680 Winforce 3 OC | i7 2600K @4.6Ghz |
| Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 | 8GB DDR3 1600 | X-Fi Titanium champion |
#5SlaynPosted 11/12/2013 1:01:43 PM
I like to use my two side buttons for reload and knife. Not saying I can't press R and F, but I like the extra buttons.
---
ZOMG Pokeyman craze! FC: 2036-7659-0505
#6KabtheMentatPosted 11/12/2013 1:26:27 PM(edited)
Get a G400.

You can thank me later.

Also, I put my equipment on my two thumb buttons in BF. Never been good with hitting the number keys in the middle of chaotic fire fights. And the DPI button right below the mouse wheel is set to my primary weapon. I just set it like that just because, but it turned out to be pretty damn useful.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson
#7_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 11/12/2013 3:41:10 PM(edited)
It is not really about the extra buttons.

For FPS you should make sure that
-The mouse feels comfortable in your hand and fits your grip and anatomy
-The mouse has a good sensor (why else spend that much money on it)

Some people prefer some extra buttons. I like to have two side-buttons. Personally I like simple, light and ambidextrous mice, which is why I use a Zowie FK that I am really satisfied with.

Typically, the mice that have a lot of features like tons of extra buttons do not have a great sensor. It is not that they are a bad buy if you make use of their features, but if the priority in FPS performance they are not such a great buy. The most well-known example is probably the Razer Naga which uses the Philips Twin Eye sensor that people pretty much hate in FPS.

---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#8sonicteam2k1Posted 11/12/2013 3:49:47 PM
I have the G500 and it is a must for me to play shooters. I'm not good with kb/m and I like having most of my buttons easily accessible for added comfort.
---
See The Game Collection
http://people.ign.com/nights_team2k7/games
#9MRN_Marn895Posted 11/12/2013 3:51:48 PM
No. Mouse with extra buttons are for noobs. They are not needed, in any genre. And don't really help.
#10g7g7g7g7Posted 11/12/2013 5:08:57 PM
My extra mouse buttons skip tracks on winamp.

That is how useful they are for gaming.
---
You never see people quoting each other in sigs anymore. - Adam Laz