This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

steam sucks at handling DLC

#1CheeseCurlsPosted 11/12/2013 3:32:20 PM
since its always fun to fuel the OMG EA IS THE DEVIL VALVE ARE GODS fire I felt like bringing this up as it was really annoying me.

I just got home from work hoping to play through burial at sea for bioshock infinite. I start up the game expecting it to have been downloaded while I was at work, but I get in the game and only clash in the clouds is in my DLC list. I exit out annoyed and right click on the game in steam, it shows on the DLC tab and it shows I have it.

Now at this point I already know what to do as steam has done this to me many times. I fully closed steam and reopened it and it starts downloading.

The problem is, why the hell do I have to do this? Why can't I just click on the DLC in the list and tell it to install, or right click and check for updates?

In origin when you click properties on a game you get an image based itemized list of your DLC, normally its installed automatically, but if it isn't you just click on it and tell it to download.
---
Perhaps I am already insane, and am just the last to know.
#2KidInTheHallPosted 11/12/2013 3:37:12 PM
I don't know what you're deal is bro, Steam downloaded Burial at Sea for me automatically.
---
i5-3570k | ASRock Z77 Extreme6 | EVGA 560Ti 448 Classified x2 SLI | 16GB G.Skill Ares | Corsair 600T White | 212 EVO | HX750
#3GoIrish80Posted 11/12/2013 3:37:28 PM
I've always found the needing to restart the program thing a little weird. I'm sure they'll get around to changing that at some point.
---
i5-3570k @ 4.2ghz | 16GB DDR3 | Nvidia 670 2GB SLI | 1TB HD x2
#4InsuRnPosted 11/12/2013 3:38:15 PM
KidInTheHall posted...
I don't know what you're deal is bro, Steam downloaded Burial at Sea for me automatically.

Same here with every Borderlands 2 DLC and The Walking Dead Episodes.
---
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 - i5 2500k - Sapphire AMD Radeon HD7850 OC - 8Gb G.SKILL DDR3 - Crucial M4 SSD - ASUS BD-R - CM Storm Trooper /// PS3 - X360 - Wii U
#5CheeseCurls(Topic Creator)Posted 11/12/2013 3:38:57 PM
KidInTheHall posted...
its about 50/50 for me on whether steam will autodownload or not. I remember having this issue with some of the borderlands 2 DLCs, but not all.
---
#6CheeseCurls(Topic Creator)Posted 11/12/2013 3:42:19 PM
just look at your DLC list for a game though, you have no way to know if somethings installed or not, and if there is something you want to uninstall by itself you can't.

Its a rare occasion, but you don't always want a DLC installed (Things like bonuses you get for preorders, some of that stuff trivializes the early parts of games)
---
#7Bazooka_PenguinPosted 11/12/2013 3:57:44 PM
KidInTheHall posted...

The problem, clearly, is that Steam is a piece of **** that can't perform simple functions with consistency across a variety of machine.
---
Deth Pen
http://i.imgur.com/eMXgU.gif
#8arleasPosted 11/12/2013 4:02:21 PM
I've never personally had this problem with Steam. Every time I've ever bought DLC the game immediately starts updating with the new content. The times it hasn't, there was some mechanism in-game to make it do just that.
---
http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/19/193056.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2309944238.png
#9steveboblarryPosted 11/12/2013 4:10:43 PM
CheeseCurls posted...
since its always fun to fuel the OMG EA IS THE DEVIL VALVE ARE GODS fire I felt like bringing this up as it was really annoying me.

I just got home from work hoping to play through burial at sea for bioshock infinite. I start up the game expecting it to have been downloaded while I was at work, but I get in the game and only clash in the clouds is in my DLC list. I exit out annoyed and right click on the game in steam, it shows on the DLC tab and it shows I have it.

Now at this point I already know what to do as steam has done this to me many times. I fully closed steam and reopened it and it starts downloading.

The problem is, why the hell do I have to do this? Why can't I just click on the DLC in the list and tell it to install, or right click and check for updates?

In origin when you click properties on a game you get an image based itemized list of your DLC, normally its installed automatically, but if it isn't you just click on it and tell it to download.

If you think Origin is better than steam then your cooked.
---
Official TimePharaoh Fanboy #1
Put this in your sig if you are a TimePharaoh fanboy
#10PhilOnDezPosted 11/12/2013 4:13:16 PM
Have you set steam to run as administrator? I haven't had this problem since I did that.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez