This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do I ground myself with an anti-static wrist strap?

#21ElementalWindPosted 11/13/2013 6:33:39 AM
Just shove the alligator clip into the actual ground
A typical alligator clip is not really long enough to make a suitable earth ground.
---
"debates are contests of rhetoric, not argumentative rigor." -DragooneerZero
#22Tommy2GoGoPosted 11/13/2013 6:54:04 AM
KidInTheHall posted...
Attach the clip to the metal in your case & the other end to your junk. You're grounded & your hands are free with no wire restraining you or getting in the way.

haha. That's awesome. An excuse to have my junk out while I work.
#23Killah PriestPosted 11/13/2013 8:14:18 AM
don't even waste your time with these things.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#24r0ge00Posted 11/13/2013 9:15:10 AM
Killah Priest posted...
don't even waste your time with these things.

+1,000

Completely useless product.
#25lost_withinPosted 11/13/2013 9:18:50 AM
Everyone failed to mention that you should attach the clip to an UNPAINTED portion of the case, but really as long as you have one hand on the case, and work with the other hand you are grounded... the wrist bands come in hand when you need to hands to do something, or you are working in a really dry climate, or on carpet (which you shouldn't be doing anyways) and if you are, take off your socks...
---
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity."
Harlan Ellison
#26SinisterSlayPosted 11/13/2013 9:46:21 AM
You don't need to have the PSU plugged in, in fact I'd recommend against it as you should never work with electrical stuff while the electricity is on.

The cable to the case will work fine. As said, try to attach to an unpainted spot.
The case is large enough to absorb a lot of static electricity.

All your really trying to avoid is a shock to a component like the processor.

If your really worried, you can ground to a metal desk instead. But it shouldn't take you hours to insert a processors, and everything else is fairly shock resistant.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#27Cobra152004Posted 11/13/2013 10:46:42 AM
BrickLaner posted...
Okay I know in a standard US electrical outlet, there are 3 holes in it. One is neutral, and the other is hot. But I'm not too sure of the ground. Where does input of ground electric current go? The ground?

Please help, I'm a noob.

The ground is basically a spare neutral. It goes to a copper ground rod driven several feet deep into the ground.
One of the main reasons for having a ground is to provide an extra safe path for current in case of insulation failure. The power can go to ground instead of through a person touching something metal that has accidentally been powered when a hot wire with damaged insulation touches it.