This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My computer just shut down without asking me - to install windows updates.

#1War_God_IconPosted 11/13/2013 3:31:49 AM
I had a Premiere video project and after effects project open and I lost 20 minutes of work. The damn thing just closed all my applications and shut down and restarted. Total wtf moment.

I've now set my windows update settings to check for and download but let me decide when to update.

But am I alone in this? Is this a completely idiotic default option for windows? It just forced a reboot and I lost all my work. No warnings or anything. Windows 7. Shocking. Never seen this before.
#2_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 11/13/2013 3:35:49 AM
Hmm, odd. I am not entirely sure because I have mine always set to ask me first, but I was under the impression that the default setting gave you a popup before it reboots, rebooting in 10 minutes if left ignored and giving you the option to set that to a different time or choose to not auto-reboot at all. Though it is possible that you might not see this popup in some applications, leading to a sudden reboot.
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#3War_God_Icon(Topic Creator)Posted 11/13/2013 3:38:30 AM
_GRIM_FANDANGO_ posted...
Hmm, odd. I am not entirely sure because I have mine always set to ask me first, but I was under the impression that the default setting gave you a popup before it reboots, rebooting in 10 minutes if left ignored and giving you the option to set that to a different time or choose to not auto-reboot at all. Though it is possible that you might not see this popup in some applications, leading to a sudden reboot.

I'm pretty unhappy about this, but dude if I was in the middle of a League Of Legends game I'd be super pissed.
#4SpazH3dPosted 11/13/2013 4:02:47 AM
It's not entirely the same, but pressing enter (like when sending a chat message) just as the "Restart PC?" prompt comes up is fricking annoying.
---
- My vision is augmented
#5RPGMattPosted 11/13/2013 4:12:14 AM
Hence why I haven't updated Windows in 2 years, unless I needed a particular one.
---
http://www.facebook.com/chaosframe
#6LordSeiferPosted 11/13/2013 5:45:03 AM
or you could just do it anytime you arent in the middle of a project
---
^ this
#7MadPinoRagePosted 11/13/2013 5:54:32 AM
SpazH3d posted...
It's not entirely the same, but pressing enter (like when sending a chat message) just as the "Restart PC?" prompt comes up is fricking annoying.

Pretty much this.
---
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
-Albert Einstein