This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

They really f***ed up with Elder Scrolls Online.

#51_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 11/14/2013 2:15:48 AM
Same story for every MMO released since WoW with few exceptions.

The ones that follow the MMO blueprint eventually fail because WoW still does it better.

The ones that do not follow the MMO blueprint either fail or only have limited success since their game might be different but is still not a reinvention of the wheel and unable to deal with some of the genres flaws (content through repetition).
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#52dennis941012Posted 11/14/2013 2:18:59 AM
_GRIM_FANDANGO_ posted...
Same story for every MMO released since WoW with few exceptions.

The ones that follow the MMO blueprint eventually fail because WoW still does it better.

The ones that do not follow the MMO blueprint either fail or only have limited success since their game might be different but is still not a reinvention of the wheel and unable to deal with some of the genres flaws (content through repetition).

maybe in Murica :X
Aion, blade and soul, lineage, and cyphers are still played more than WoW in korea
---
#53KabtheMentatPosted 11/14/2013 2:20:30 AM
No offense to East Asians, but they have terrible taste in gaming nowadays.

Their love of cheap ass MMOs just highlights that.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson
#540cu_87Posted 11/14/2013 2:25:59 AM
Basically, we need a new MMO like Ultima Online.

No "You are the hero!" crap, no singleplayer campaign in a multiplayer world.
Just a sandbox world with adventuring and crafting classes. Also, you can only choose one crafting labor thus enforcing player interaction. Add housing and purchasable shops, slow but steady progression and you got yourself an awesome new MMO.

This is why Eve Online is so successful. It follows this formula.
#55KabtheMentatPosted 11/14/2013 2:30:19 AM
Another raisin UO was so cool was because of the economics of it. It was fun looking for stuff, gathering materials, building your own stuff, and selling it out in an unstructured environment. It was straight up free market capitalism. You felt some sense of accomplishment when you ended up making a pile of gold.

Eve Online does this as well, but some of the fun is sucked out because of the development of cartels that can control markets. That's technically free market capitalism too, but not the fun kind.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson
#56ElDudorinoPosted 11/14/2013 7:56:09 AM
0cu_87 posted...

No "You are the hero!" crap, no singleplayer campaign in a multiplayer world.
Just a sandbox world with adventuring and crafting classes. Also, you can only choose one crafting labor thus enforcing player interaction. Add housing and purchasable shops, slow but steady progression and you got yourself an awesome new MMO.

This is why Eve Online is so successful. It follows this formula.

I think Ultima Online was fantastic but I don't think they could release a game like that today. People would all complain that it's too unstructured. I think a lot of people do crave the clear sense of progression that comes from having questlines, experience levels, "endgame," organized PvP, etc.

I think the exploration in that game, which incidentally ALSO is what allowed you to have player housing (since there was so much empty space), would also be disliked by a lot of players. I think a lot of people don't really want to explore; they want a straight line to follow that takes them to the next area of questing, which has just slightly higher-level monsters than the last area.

Ultima Online had like the best monster taming to date, though. Maybe it was a little cheesy that my dude spent his days walking around saying "I always wanted a llama like you" to animals but it was really cool that you could tame almost anything and in many cases you could actually ride it around as well as using it as part of your offense (like how nightmares were mounts that breathed fire at your enemies). And you could sell people pets to make a living. Awesome.
#570cu_87Posted 11/15/2013 1:27:05 AM(edited)
ElDudorino posted...
Ultima Online had like the best monster taming to date, though. Maybe it was a little cheesy that my dude spent his days walking around saying "I always wanted a llama like you" to animals but it was really cool that you could tame almost anything and in many cases you could actually ride it around as well as using it as part of your offense (like how nightmares were mounts that breathed fire at your enemies). And you could sell people pets to make a living. Awesome.

lol I remember. So funny.
#58claytonbuckleyPosted 11/15/2013 1:30:32 AM
All they had to do was patch in a co-op feature for Skyrim. They could of charged anything for it and people would of bought it. But no they decided to try make an MMO that will fail like every other MMO released after WoW.
---
Pointing out your stupidity is not trolling
#59Bigj089Posted 11/15/2013 1:32:32 AM
SlashmanSG posted...
jrr18 posted...
zenimax online made it not the real Bethesda

SlashmanSG posted...
Bethesda isn't making ESO.

I wonder how long it'll be before people finally realize this.

I still see a fair number of people that say Beth made New Vegas. So I'm sure it will be quite some time to never.
---
I hate pineapple pizza but I don't boycott pizza shops that offer that abomination.--The Liberator
#60SlashmanSGPosted 11/15/2013 10:06:06 AM
Bigj089 posted...
I still see a fair number of people that say Beth made New Vegas. So I'm sure it will be quite some time to never.

Yeah, me too. It's a sad state of affairs.
---
Fight Science with Wood
http://gifs.gifbin.com/072010/1280303569_walmart-moonwalk.gif http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/8299/0341551001256026444.gif