This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How come they dont make plasma monitors?

#11ZeraphLordSPosted 11/13/2013 5:41:21 AM
Fade2black001 posted...
Well Last I looked at TV's and saw the same movie being played on LCD and plasma throughout the store. I noticed that plasmas looked better but this was like 2-3 years ago though. But to me plasmas pn the way it produced color seemed to be a lot more vibrant than what LCDs could do.

probably the low black levels which results in high true contrast ratios

PLS monitors from what I've heard have lower black levels than IPS and TN

either that or wait for OLEDS which have zero'd blacks

plasmas are superheavy on power usage too.
---
The best course of action is to just get the information you need, then get out while you're still alive. - destroy everything on GameFAQs
#12Naves7Posted 11/13/2013 6:36:39 AM
They do make Plasma Monitors.

Lookup Panasonic TH-42PF50. Comparable to the legendary Sony FW900 CRT. Pricey though.
#13Killah PriestPosted 11/13/2013 6:46:01 AM
I have a plasma TV and it destroys LED/LCD and LCD TVs. IR is annoying tho but so is backlight bleed and terrible motion.

All of these techs have their issues which is annoying... CRT was pretty excellent aside from how FAT they were.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#14Fade2black001(Topic Creator)Posted 11/13/2013 7:13:36 AM
Killah Priest posted...
I have a plasma TV and it destroys LED/LCD and LCD TVs. IR is annoying tho but so is backlight bleed and terrible motion.

All of these techs have their issues which is annoying... CRT was pretty excellent aside from how FAT they were.

Not to mention another factor about plasmas is that they cant handle high elevation either. I dont know what the max for it is but yeah. CRTs were impressive but using one at a 1080P resolution or higher was not worth it unless you have insanely good eyesight.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#15SinisterSlayPosted 11/13/2013 7:18:30 AM
Image retention is still pretty bad with Plasma.

Even a modern TV, just put a white dot on screen for 30 minutes and it will be there for several hours.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#16Killah PriestPosted 11/13/2013 7:19:59 AM
Its horrible.

Its still better than having bleed on the sides/top/bottom of your screen that is always there, or blotches and lines that are always there, or floaty motion that makes me vomit.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#17happyscrub1Posted 11/13/2013 7:21:55 AM
MadPinoRage posted...
Mining plasma from stars is risky business.

Noob, they mine plasma from blood!
---
Never forget.... Building #7
#18thatfool12GsPosted 11/13/2013 9:46:46 AM
KabtheMentat posted...
Also, why the hell would you want a plasma?

True blacks, quicker response times. No edge lit backlight bleed.
---
Asus Sabertooth z77 - Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz - Hyper 212 Evo - G. Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB Ram - EVGA GTX 680 - Xion 1000W PSU