This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Computer build for $500-700?

#1Critcal50Posted 11/13/2013 6:02:59 AM
I was looking at pre built models and I saw some for around $700. But people will say that if you bother to look around yourself you can build one much cheaper and better or the same as a pre built.
#2dustybottoms7Posted 11/13/2013 6:17:23 AM
Do you already have a usable keyboard, monitor, mouse, and speakers? Also, do you have a copy of windows you can use, or will you need to purchase one?
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/BottomsGaming?feature=guide
#3Critcal50(Topic Creator)Posted 11/13/2013 6:44:14 AM
dustybottoms7 posted...
Do you already have a usable keyboard, monitor, mouse, and speakers? Also, do you have a copy of windows you can use, or will you need to purchase one?

I have a usable mouse, monitor, and keyboard. My speakers broke. Really powerful lightning surge hit my house breaking them along with a bunch of other stuff. :P I have windows on my current computer, but I've heard that MS can detect if you use a copied/pirated windows.
#4dustybottoms7Posted 11/13/2013 9:18:41 AM
The first thing I'd recommend, if you haven't, is do a bunch of research on everything about building a PC. Look at exactly what parts you need, what each one does, and how exactly you go about connecting them (I'd suggest the 3-part NewEgg youtube series on this, but you can find many similar tutorials). It's not difficult once you fully prepare yourself, but it'll be very helpful if you're a beginner.

Now, onto your potential build. I'm not the best at this, and so you should certainly post around, get a bunch of different builds in your head and get them all looked at and critiqued. This is probably the ballpark area for where you might want to go, though. The price ended up being over $700 because of the copy of windows. You do have a couple of rebates and free games with this build to help out, but if you really can't manage $750 you'll have to look at downgrading a few things, which shouldn't be too hard. You could try taking off the optical drive and installing windows through a USB, which is an option, although I've never done that personally. I also got you a 1TB hard drive. You might not want or need that much and so it would be possible to downgrade that one if REALLY necessary.

The reason I chose the video card I did is because it's actually good value for the price point. Again, I'm not an expert at this and you should ask around to confirm, but you should be able to run (at 720 or 1080p) just about every current game on the market and even max out some recent games and most games going back. And for $183 and two free games with it, it doesn't seem too bad. Again, this is all assuming you want this kind of build. If you don't care too much about brand new games or absolutely maxing out old ones you can absolutely downgrade the video card as well. I'm just operating on the assumption that you do.

Outside of that, hopefully someone else here who is a little bit more well versed in builds around this price point can critique this and fix any problems here, if there are any. It should be a decent enough start, though, and so from here I'd do the initial research and post the build around some message boards to see what people think, and adjust to how much you're willing to spend.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/21L9X
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/21L9X/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/21L9X/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4430 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($174.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI B85-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($73.24 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($69.99 @ Microcenter)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.94 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($183.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill REDBONE U3 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Cooler Master eXtreme Power 550W ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($15.00 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($95.99 @ Adorama)
Total: $768.11
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-13 12:18 EST-0500)
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/BottomsGaming?feature=guide
#5BowsaaPosted 11/13/2013 9:33:28 AM(edited)
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/21LxM

I'd personally go for something like this, in that budget range. If you want, you could go for a lower-end i5 CPU, which would be better per core, but an 8350 will do fine in modern games, and as games get more multithreaded it'll pull ahead.

The Microcenter deal probably only applies if you can pick up in store (unless they changed it), so it should be right around $700. If you can, reuse the HDD/OS from your old build; you can save some money and likely even bump up the GPU.

@dusty you can get better RAM for less, and I'm not 100% on CoolerMaster PSUs; I'm not sure what the specific story is with that model, but generally I've heard to avoid them.

Edit: TC, if you want to play more CPU-oriented games (ie GW2/MMOs, RTS game, etc) you're better of with an i5, though.
---
RENAMON!! *weeping* YOU HAVEN'T BENT ANYONE OVER THE SINK AND SHOVED A "CHECK THE STICKY* UP THEIR ASS IN MONTHS!! *curls into ball crying*- Cither3000
#6Critcal50(Topic Creator)Posted 11/13/2013 9:31:15 AM
dustybottoms7 posted...
The first thing I'd recommend, if you haven't, is do a bunch of research on everything about building a PC. Look at exactly what parts you need, what each one does, and how exactly you go about connecting them (I'd suggest the 3-part NewEgg youtube series on this, but you can find many similar tutorials). It's not difficult once you fully prepare yourself, but it'll be very helpful if you're a beginner.

Now, onto your potential build. I'm not the best at this, and so you should certainly post around, get a bunch of different builds in your head and get them all looked at and critiqued. This is probably the ballpark area for where you might want to go, though. The price ended up being over $700 because of the copy of windows. You do have a couple of rebates and free games with this build to help out, but if you really can't manage $750 you'll have to look at downgrading a few things, which shouldn't be too hard. You could try taking off the optical drive and installing windows through a USB, which is an option, although I've never done that personally. I also got you a 1TB hard drive. You might not want or need that much and so it would be possible to downgrade that one if REALLY necessary.

The reason I chose the video card I did is because it's actually good value for the price point. Again, I'm not an expert at this and you should ask around to confirm, but you should be able to run (at 720 or 1080p) just about every current game on the market and even max out some recent games and most games going back. And for $183 and two free games with it, it doesn't seem too bad. Again, this is all assuming you want this kind of build. If you don't care too much about brand new games or absolutely maxing out old ones you can absolutely downgrade the video card as well. I'm just operating on the assumption that you do.

Outside of that, hopefully someone else here who is a little bit more well versed in builds around this price point can critique this and fix any problems here, if there are any. It should be a decent enough start, though, and so from here I'd do the initial research and post the build around some message boards to see what people think, and adjust to how much you're willing to spend.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/21L9X
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/21L9X/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/21L9X/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4430 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($174.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI B85-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($73.24 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($69.99 @ Microcenter)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.94 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($183.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill REDBONE U3 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Cooler Master eXtreme Power 550W ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($15.00 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($95.99 @ Adorama)
Total: $768.11
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-13 12:18 EST-0500)

I'm basing most of my build off of Battlefield 4, because I assume that's a very demanding game, and more demanding over the other games I plan to play like Dark Souls 2. I'll settle for 720p if I really have to, because graphics aren't really important to me. As long as everything isn't extremely pixelated and an eyesore to look at.

Also, how long do you think this build will last before I have to start changing out parts? Because I'd rather spend more now than have to change something out for a lot more.

I'll look at these parts when I have time, and do some research.

Thank you for your help, it's appreciated.