This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

About how long is it safe to leave a gaming PC running without sleep mode?

#1btaylorstlPosted 11/13/2013 8:55:49 AM
I ask because lately I've had a few times where I'd manually put the computer into sleep mode before going to bed and when I wake up in the morning the power was off completely. I'd turn it back on and Windows would report that it had an unexpected shutdown, and when I look at the error dialog it just indicated "Blue screen" (which of course I never actually saw because both the computer and I were sleeping.)

This happened twice in the last week or so, and then yesterday I put it to sleep before going to work and when I came home for lunch it was off again with the same "Blue screen" error. The thing is, everything's normal when I'm actually using it. I've played plenty of games with no issues. So yesterday I turned off sleep mode and left it running all day and night and so far there have been no problems.

At first I thought it might be an issue with the power supply, but if that were the case I would be getting issues while actually using the computer, right? So it seems to be an issue with Sleep mode in particular. But obviously I don't want to constantly leave the computer running day and night, but I also don't want to manually shut it down every day either unless there's a particular reason for it.

Does anyone have some advice or guidance here? I'm also curious as to how much more electricity the PC will use when it's idling but not in sleep mode versus total sleep mode? Should I play it safe and turn off my computer at night and manually start in the morning? Or should it be fine just to leave it on for a few days at a time?
---
This signature will not change until the St. Louis Cardinals win the World Series. Started: 10/29/11
#2ChetyrePosted 11/13/2013 9:02:52 AM
I leave my computers on for months at a time. I just turn them off for maintenance, or the eventual guest that needs to sleep in the room it is in.
---
"Beyond The Beaten Path Lies The Absolute End. It Matters Not Who You Are, Death Awaits You." Nyx Avatar
#3btaylorstl(Topic Creator)Posted 11/13/2013 9:05:10 AM
When you say, "leave them on," you mean literally just powered on and idling? No sleep mode or hibernation or anything like that?
---
This signature will not change until the St. Louis Cardinals win the World Series. Started: 10/29/11
#4ChetyrePosted 11/13/2013 9:06:32 AM(edited)
Yes. Not even truly idling as it does a ton on things in the background all the time.
---
"Beyond The Beaten Path Lies The Absolute End. It Matters Not Who You Are, Death Awaits You." Nyx Avatar
#5wizardmonPosted 11/13/2013 9:07:21 AM
Yeah, always on. There are lower power saving modes that you can use without putting it to sleep too.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#6PhilOnDezPosted 11/13/2013 9:53:38 AM(edited)
I left mine on overnight running FTB several dozen times. It pushes a single core of my CPU to the max (3570k with 4.4ghz OC) and I never had a problem. I did blue screen several times while stabilizing my OC but before that and once it was stable I haven't had a bluescreen since (built in February of this year, used daily ever since).

Is your hardware OCd? If so, run a stability test, though it doesn't seem like that would be a problem since you were in sleep mode. I used OCCT and once it said my overclock was stable the problems stopped.

E: Also, do you have a Haswell processor? If so, it might still be your PSU that's the problem. While idle, Haswell uses so little power that some PSUs have trouble delivering a low enough current to power it properly which seems like it could lead to a similar problem as having an OC with too little power.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#7lost_withinPosted 11/13/2013 9:52:28 AM
btaylorstl posted...
I ask because lately I've had a few times where I'd manually put the computer into sleep mode before going to bed and when I wake up in the morning the power was off completely. I'd turn it back on and Windows would report that it had an unexpected shutdown, and when I look at the error dialog it just indicated "Blue screen" (which of course I never actually saw because both the computer and I were sleeping.)

This happened twice in the last week or so, and then yesterday I put it to sleep before going to work and when I came home for lunch it was off again with the same "Blue screen" error. The thing is, everything's normal when I'm actually using it. I've played plenty of games with no issues. So yesterday I turned off sleep mode and left it running all day and night and so far there have been no problems.

At first I thought it might be an issue with the power supply, but if that were the case I would be getting issues while actually using the computer, right? So it seems to be an issue with Sleep mode in particular. But obviously I don't want to constantly leave the computer running day and night, but I also don't want to manually shut it down every day either unless there's a particular reason for it.

Does anyone have some advice or guidance here? I'm also curious as to how much more electricity the PC will use when it's idling but not in sleep mode versus total sleep mode? Should I play it safe and turn off my computer at night and manually start in the morning? Or should it be fine just to leave it on for a few days at a time?

You should try to figure out what the BSOD error is using a program like BlueScreenViewer, and address the error, and see if things improve...

But it should be safe to leave your computer on for any amount of time and let the computer manage the power, unless you live in an area prone to power outages (like I do in the spring) in which case I would turn it off before I go to bed...
---
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity."
Harlan Ellison
#8Saga3Posted 11/13/2013 10:11:36 AM
Disable 'PLL Overvoltage' in your BIOS and you shouldn't blue screen when you sleep anymore.
#9btaylorstl(Topic Creator)Posted 11/13/2013 12:32:13 PM
I left mine on overnight running FTB several dozen times. It pushes a single core of my CPU to the max (3570k with 4.4ghz OC) and I never had a problem. I did blue screen several times while stabilizing my OC but before that and once it was stable I haven't had a bluescreen since (built in February of this year, used daily ever since).

Is your hardware OCd? If so, run a stability test, though it doesn't seem like that would be a problem since you were in sleep mode. I used OCCT and once it said my overclock was stable the problems stopped.

E: Also, do you have a Haswell processor? If so, it might still be your PSU that's the problem. While idle, Haswell uses so little power that some PSUs have trouble delivering a low enough current to power it properly which seems like it could lead to a similar problem as having an OC with too little power.

No, I don't have a Haswell processor (it's a Sandy Bridge, I believe, whatever an i5 2500K would be, which is definitely not Haswell) and I don't have any overclocking enabled. It definitely seems like something specific to sleep mode, so maybe it is PSU-related but only with sleep mode. At any rate, as long as I don't get blue screens while I'm actually using it, I'll just leave it running and maybe turn it off overnight every once in a while. I just wanted to make sure it's not really bad or inadvisable to keep the computer on without sleep mode for long stretches of time.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.
---
#10SinisterSlayPosted 11/13/2013 12:33:01 PM
btaylorstl posted...

No, I don't have a Haswell processor (it's a Sandy Bridge, I believe, whatever an i5 2500K would be, which is definitely not Haswell) and I don't have any overclocking enabled. It definitely seems like something specific to sleep mode, so maybe it is PSU-related but only with sleep mode. At any rate, as long as I don't get blue screens while I'm actually using it, I'll just leave it running and maybe turn it off overnight every once in a while. I just wanted to make sure it's not really bad or inadvisable to keep the computer on without sleep mode for long stretches of time.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

hibernate it then.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence