This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How many people hate Cloud Storage?

#1Fade2black001Posted 11/13/2013 9:30:59 AM
You can store your data on a server and access it whenever you want to. It sounds like a an awesome idea right? Wrong... What if the server is down and the data you need is crucial but you cant access it? I know MS is using CS (cloud storage) for save game files or you have the option to use it instead of HDD space on the console. If cloud storage becomes or is mandatory on some games (I dont really know) then that would piss me off. I like the idea of having access to my files anytime I want and being on my own system.

Am I the only one who thinks this way? Sadly enough I think CS is going to be the way of the future but I hope I am wrong in this.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#2ChetyrePosted 11/13/2013 9:32:36 AM
I like the idea of storing files on a server, but only one under my control; which btw is something that has existed for a long, long time.
---
"Beyond The Beaten Path Lies The Absolute End. It Matters Not Who You Are, Death Awaits You." Nyx Avatar
#3SinisterSlayPosted 11/13/2013 9:34:20 AM
So far cloud saves are just for backups and syncing.
They use whichever copy is newest.

Steam will actually tell your if your saves are out of sync.

Personally I like them, it means I can wander from computer to computer playing games and keeping my progress.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#4Fade2black001(Topic Creator)Posted 11/13/2013 9:41:15 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
So far cloud saves are just for backups and syncing.
They use whichever copy is newest.

Steam will actually tell your if your saves are out of sync.

Personally I like them, it means I can wander from computer to computer playing games and keeping my progress.

That's true. That is nice.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#5ThePCElitistPosted 11/13/2013 9:43:09 AM(edited)
I love cloud storage and use it to backup and transfer my files between computers or people I know long distance. If you live in fear of "what if" you will never do anything.
---
#6ShubPosted 11/13/2013 10:09:44 AM(edited)
One of the key concepts behind cloud computing is high availability. Anything can go down, but a well designed cloud architecture should be able to provide very, very high uptime. Amazon S3 (Amazon's cloud storage product) guarantees 99.9% uptime, which means it allows for about 43 minutes of downtime in a month or just under 9 hours in a year, which you can probably agree is not a lot of downtime. 99.9% uptime isn't even that high when you consider that a lot of organizations strive for 99.99% uptime (<52.6 minutes of downtime per year), and it goes even further than that (99.999%, 99.9999%, etc.)

My point is that cloud storage is a good thing. An ideal cloud system with multiple, geographically dispersed load balancers pointed at multiple replicated data centers should basically never be down as far as users are concerned, although it may experience partial (regional) failures.

In other words, if for example you have two cloud hard drives that synchronize data between the two of them, and two paths to each of the hard drives, you can lose one hard drive and still access the data, or lose one path and still access the data, or lose both a hard drive and a path and still have access to the data.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#7reincarnator07Posted 11/13/2013 10:16:28 AM
So long as I can keep a local backup, I freaking love it. It's great for working on projects from multiple locations.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#8JockoPosted 11/13/2013 12:54:45 PM
I hate it if it's my only storage solution but I like it as a secondary backup solution.
---
The oxygen's leaving my brain!!! --Clucky the Chicken
()===={SWORDSWORDSWORDSWORD> It's my SWORD sword.
#9Orestes417Posted 11/13/2013 12:57:18 PM
As others have said, off site storage is a fantastic option to have but it should never be relied on as the only choice.
---
I am the mighty thesaurus! RAWR!
#10SlashmanSGPosted 11/13/2013 12:58:30 PM
How many people hate airplanes?

You can fly across the country in a matter of hours anytime you want. It sounds like a an awesome idea right? Wrong... What if the wings fall off and the plane nosedives to a fiery explosion?
---
Fight Science with Wood
http://gifs.gifbin.com/072010/1280303569_walmart-moonwalk.gif http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/8299/0341551001256026444.gif