This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it my GPU or is it the game?

#1CyberZesPosted 11/13/2013 9:22:17 AM
I have a custom built PC (not by me) with an I5-3570K, 16GB ram and a GTX 780. However, in games like Batman Arkham Origins or GTA 4 or COD Ghosts, I can max out the graphics but I still get slight stutter in some areas. Is this because my GPU is bad or is it because of the CPU?
#2lost_withinPosted 11/13/2013 9:23:01 AM
Perhaps...
---
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity."
Harlan Ellison
#3SinisterSlayPosted 11/13/2013 9:32:13 AM(edited)
A stutter, as in when it's loading?

All console ports stream textures while the game runs, so some stuttering is to be expected. Since for some reason we still can't build a computer that can wait on IO requests without hanging the entire system.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#4thatfool12GsPosted 11/13/2013 9:33:30 AM
I see stuttering issues more when having in game v-sync on. Try turning it off and check for better results.
---
Asus Sabertooth z77 - Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz - Hyper 212 Evo - G. Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB Ram - EVGA GTX 680 - Xion 1000W PSU
#5CyberZes(Topic Creator)Posted 11/13/2013 9:35:10 AM
For GTA4, the stutter happens when I load and then come out of a safehouse and get on a bike or in a car.

Batman Arkham Origins: It happens mainly when entering a new room or before a cinematic.

COD Ghosts: Slight stutter during playing but not often. This one I have to experiment with more.

Someone mentioned for Batman it could be the Unreal engine which is causing the stutter.
#6CyberZes(Topic Creator)Posted 11/13/2013 9:36:59 AM
Will give V-Sync off a try.

So all three games are deemed console ports?
#7SinisterSlayPosted 11/13/2013 9:37:17 AM
CyberZes posted...
For GTA4, the stutter happens when I load and then come out of a safehouse and get on a bike or in a car.

Batman Arkham Origins: It happens mainly when entering a new room or before a cinematic.

COD Ghosts: Slight stutter during playing but not often. This one I have to experiment with more.

Someone mentioned for Batman it could be the Unreal engine which is causing the stutter.

Do any native PC games stutter?
Like say, X3, or x-rebirth, warband, civilization? any of those?
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#8CyberZes(Topic Creator)Posted 11/13/2013 9:40:25 AM
I have not tried any of the native games you mentioned. I am mainly into FPS or action games. But I will try testing with a non-console port to see how it goes.
#9SinisterSlayPosted 11/13/2013 10:45:05 AM
CyberZes posted...
I have not tried any of the native games you mentioned. I am mainly into FPS or action games. But I will try testing with a non-console port to see how it goes.

I'm just guessing though, but I know unreal3 stutters like crazy when scenes load.
---