This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you still find favorites or has you're favorite game of all time been decided

#1HerrxPosted 11/13/2013 10:12:36 AM
I have to ask this? in the arrival of the next generation consoles we see a decline in gaming quality, simply because the budget of what a game can cost has been reached(I'm looking at you GTAV) and that this hd generation have spoiled us. The next generation perhaps will be better, but really not that much better since gaming it seemes have peaked and the size of a game budget and development team cannot increase much more. GTA V had a development staff of 1000 people and a budget of 260 million dollars, which is more than basically any movie in the film industry, The Assassins Creed games also have a staff of 900-1000 people.

My point is this. There has been a giant leap in terms of staff working on a game and development cost, from the PS2 era till current gen. Don't expect this to be the case on the next generation consoles.

Okay my real point and hear comes the juicy part. I played my favorite game of all time back in 2002. It was before insane development cost became a standard. However the game to this day still remains my favorite game of all time, and its called Grandia II. I could go into details of why it's the best game I have ever played. Perhaps it was the very original and completely immerse world it had. Maybe the way you felt after completing this wonderful and long game. That you'll had been on the journey of a lifetime, or maybe the wonderful character and fantastic story. I won't bore you with any more details, but I have played many games on current gen and although many great and many amazing and some even masterpieces, no game has ever given me the same feeling I had when competing Grandia II. Another game that remains my 2econd favorite game of all time is Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty. When I played that game I thought what the did was impossible to be done in a videogame. I've had never seen anything that even came close to the quality of that game before. That was also in 2002. So in reperspective I played my two favorite games of all time back in 2002. Isn't that strange? What can be the reason? I think I know the answer. We have been spoiled with insanely good production values and alot of great games and it takes a whole lot more to impress us these days. That and of course, nostalgia. How many pc gamer do you hearing saying that Planescace: Torment is their favorite game of all time or Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amm. Quite alot. And these games were made before games reached the cost of movies and became mainstream. If I had played a japanese JRPG like Lost Odyssey or Tales Of Vesperia at that time, they would proberly had been my favorite games of all time.

So the hundred million dollar question is this - Do you still find new favorite games of all time or at least games that place in the top 5 or do you feel the same. In this thread please state you're age and top 5 best games you have ever played as supplement. Just to get an idea, if it had anything to do with point in time or age. Thanks guys and girls !
---
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine - Humphrey Bogart - Casablanca
#2Ch3wyPosted 11/13/2013 10:15:59 AM
I didn't really read any of that but my favorite games of all time are tied between Euro Truck Simulator 2 and Midtown Madness 3.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.