This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

3D Gaming

#1PanopictonguyPosted 11/13/2013 11:18:49 AM
I'm currently using a 7970 and I plan on getting a 3D monitor. Should I get a 2nd 7970 to maintain 60fps 3D 1080p or should I sell my current 7970 for a 780ti and get a second one later?

I've been searching for information on the different versions of 3D software and hardware intergration but all i'm finding is old info.

I think Nvidia 3D vision is HDMI mandatory for 1080p 60fps and Radeon HD3D is Display Port mandatory.

Are there any significant differences between the two? If anyone knows of any other sources I can look at for info or have personal experienced I'd appreciate it.
---
Oh, you thought they made this game for you? You clearly bought the wrong game.
#2EciDemonPosted 11/13/2013 11:44:55 AM(edited)
I'm using a gtx 680 for my 3d gaming on a Samsung 27A950D
The display came bundled with TriDef software which is the AMD solution though it works with nVidia as well.. AMD doesn't make any 3d drivers them selves.
On AMD hardware it supports frame sequential 3d but the software is flexible and can do side by side etc too.
Frame sequential 3d is not supported on nVidia cards via TriDef.
It has a good amount of settings but isn't as compatible as 3D Vision, it's also slower then 3D vision. In some games though I prefer TriDef over 3dvision.

Now this monitor is not 3D vision certified, and I do not have a 3d vision kit (it's not supported) However with some driver tricks I can use it as a 3D Vision solution using the glasses that came with the display and it works pretty good.

3D vision uses dual link dvi for 1080p 3d at 60hz per eye (120hz display)
nVidia does sell a software for 3d on TV's that only works through hdmi I think.

3D vision is not compatible with ATI at all.
---
| Gigabyte GTX 680 Winforce 3 OC | i7 2600K @4.6Ghz |
| Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 | 8GB DDR3 1600 | X-Fi Titanium champion |
#3Panopictonguy(Topic Creator)Posted 11/13/2013 11:51:16 AM
EciDemon posted...
I'm using a gtx 680 for my 3d gaming on a Samsung 27A950D
The display came bundled with TriDef software which is the AMD solution though it works with nVidia as well.. AMD doesn't make any 3d drivers them selves.
On AMD hardware it supports frame sequential 3d but the software is flexible and can do side by side etc too.
Frame sequential 3d is not supported on nVidia cards via TriDef.
It has a good amount of settings but isn't as compatible as 3D Vision, it's also slower then 3D vision. In some games though I prefer TriDef over 3dvision.

Now this monitor is not 3D vision certified, and I do not have a 3d vision kit (it's not supported) However with some driver tricks I can use it as a 3D Vision solution using the glasses that came with the display and it works pretty good.

3D vision uses dual link dvi for 1080p 3d at 60hz per eye (120hz display)
nVidia does sell a software for 3d on TV's that only works through hdmi I think.

3D vision is not compatible with ATI at all.

Thanks for the info a lot of that I found.

Nvidia is pushing for Hdmi 1.4b which can transmit the high bandwidth necessary to do 1080p3D 60fps. But I believe it's only supported by certain monitors which are listed on the Nvidia site. The Asus 27" 120hz & 23 144hz Gaming Monitor are a couple of them.

AMD has no first part software all of it is 3rd party but I've been reading some stuff about virtual 3D and things like that only supported by the 3rd party software which can only be used by AMD.

I'm curious about whether it'll be worth switching over, considering Nnvidia has better support an HDMI is more common than Display port. On the other hand AMD is cheaper and just as good, and I can get a second 7970 for cheaper than buying a single 780ti which should net me some great performance right out the gate.
---
#4EciDemonPosted 11/13/2013 12:10:10 PM
You don't need to worry about hdmi with a pc display though. If you're buying a 3d display it will come with a dual link dvi cable.
I use the hdmi for my ps3 where 3d gaming also works. I have not tried display port as I don't have such a cable.

The experience is smooth in supported games with 3d Vision. I was playing Arkham Origins last night with a steady 60 fps with everything maxed out including physx but set Anti Aliasing to FXAA High.

Skyrim is a good example where the performance difference between Tridef and 3D Vision is big. There 3D Vision runs at 60 while TriDef maintains 30.
I don't know how the performance is on AMD hardware but I would think its similar to how it works with nVidia cards except you also get frame sequential 3d.

3D will not work with all games. Shadows can be glitchy or some effects lacks depth.
For 3DVision this is a good resource to get 3d fixes for games http://helixmod.blogspot.se/2013/07/game-list-full.html

I have not tried any other 3d drivers and as far as I know these two are the best ones with the best support.
---
#5Panopictonguy(Topic Creator)Posted 11/13/2013 12:13:33 PM
Ok cool I'll look over that. I have Skyrim & Batman so hopefully I can find something that works great with both.

I know I'll definitely need a lot of horsepower for the upcoming "next gen" titles just to max them at 1080. I get good fps in battlefield 4 on ultra, but it does dip into the high 40s sometimes.
---
#6Cool_Dude667Posted 11/13/2013 12:28:23 PM
Yea I use helix mod aswell, that website is amazing but I wish they did some fixing in the Saints Row series :(
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi
#7EciDemonPosted 11/13/2013 12:48:40 PM(edited)
The 680 and 7970 trade blows in terms of performance so it's more down to what brand you like more or pricing.
On the 680 it works fine in recent games and maintaining 60fps is usually no problem. So I would expect similar results for a 7970.

I used to do 3d gaming with two Gtx 560Ti's in SLI but decided to upgrade to the 680 (which it had to be to get the same level of performance) to reduce heat and noise.
(EDIT: SLI did not work with TriDef but maybe it does now, I dunno. It also does not work with 64bit games though there is a 64bit beta version out now)

Any game you can run at 120 fps will do 3d at 60.
So some times you may have to turn down Anti Aliasing and use Fxaa instead to maintain that.

I don't have any Battlefield games so I have no idea how good/bad they work with 3d.

But I can say this
I bought the display mainly because it's 120hz and quite good colors despite being a TN panel. The design is awesome too :)
I was very positively surprised with the 3d effect and it's really cool in some games. I find it to be much more then just a gimmick now as I find it can add a lot of immersion.
It's best in third person games I think as then you can tweak it so things "pop out" of the display. That doesn't really make sense in a first person game so there you get the depth effect more.

3d is not perfect though and works best when the games were designed with 3d in mind. On the hardware side you will always get a little bit of crosstalk between left and right eye and from what I can find this can not be completely eliminated yet no matter if it's active or passive 3d.

If you ever get a chance to try Trine 1 and 2, they are amazing in 3d :)
---
#8Panopictonguy(Topic Creator)Posted 11/13/2013 12:45:55 PM
Oh I have them in my backlog. They look great 2D I really want to try the 3D in them.
---
#9EciDemonPosted 11/13/2013 12:46:20 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#10Cool_Dude667Posted 11/13/2013 2:06:07 PM
The Mass Effect trilogy in particular really helped the immersion when I played it with 3d vision.
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi