This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Really novice question about CPUs

#1cjsdowgPosted 11/13/2013 11:41:02 AM
I was looking at my processors under the proprieties in my computer. And it listed the same CPU 8 times. Does that mean my computer has 8 CPUs. ( that just sounds wrong) but I have no idea why they would be listed more then once.
---
Bender: Well, everybody, I just saved a turtle. What have you done with your lives?
#2SinisterSlayPosted 11/13/2013 11:42:42 AM(edited)
1 CPU with 8 cores.
It might be a quad core with hyperthreading, so it's then 8 logical cores.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#3cjsdowg(Topic Creator)Posted 11/13/2013 11:44:24 AM
Thanks one more question .

So if my computer had 1 CPU with 8 logical cores and the same about of RAM as the PS4 would it mean that my computer is as powerful as the PS4 ?
---
Bender: Well, everybody, I just saved a turtle. What have you done with your lives?
#4Kokuei05Posted 11/13/2013 11:44:30 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#5SinisterSlayPosted 11/13/2013 11:46:25 AM
No, chances are, CPU to CPU comparison, you are way more powerful.

Most people here have i5's which is a quad core, they can easily beat the 8 core in the new consoles.

I have to refresh my memory on how hyperthreading works...
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#6ThePCElitistPosted 11/13/2013 11:47:02 AM
cjsdowg posted...
Thanks one more question .

So if my computer had 1 CPU with 8 logical cores and the same about of RAM as the PS4 would it mean that my computer is as powerful as the PS4 ?

Most likely but it depends on the CPU
---
When I'm Miqo'te
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3LGf9SSWrU
#7cjsdowg(Topic Creator)Posted 11/13/2013 11:51:21 AM(edited)
Thanks for the help once more. I guess I am off to sell my PS4 , when I get it .

Edited to added.

Someone highlight that it depends on the CPU. I have a Intel core i7.
---
#8Kokuei05Posted 11/13/2013 11:50:03 AM
Thanks for the help once more. I guess I am off to sell my PS4 , when I get it .

lol what the ****? You have no idea what your PC has and you have made a decision on theoretical details that has nothing to do with performance.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r1PPedJzng
#9KillerTrufflePosted 11/13/2013 11:52:20 AM
Without knowing what your whole computer is like - INCLUDING graphics card, it's impossible to tell you how powerful it is compared to PS4.

Also, you shouldn't be buying the PS4 or any console because it might be more powerful than your PC. You should be buying it for the exclusive games you want to play.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#10BogePosted 11/13/2013 1:51:54 PM
Optimization plays a HUGE role in game performance though. That's why a PS4 can run games at 60fps with half the hardware power of a PC. The developers have to make sure the game is compatible for a wide variety of different computer configurations. That hurts the optimization a lot.

Just imagine what our games would look like if it wasn't that way.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.