This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Linux question re. hard drive failure

#1gldooriiPosted 11/13/2013 3:43:28 PM
My dad's laptop won't boot and after enough tech support with Dell they are going to replace the hard drive since it's still under warranty. He needs the data off of the old drive, so I picked up one of those enclosures and tried connecting it that way to my computer, but the drive shows up for 30 seconds and then disappears. This happens over and over and over again with no success in browsing the drive. I contacted a data recover company that said they will take a look at it, but I wanted to give it one more shot and asked our IT guy at work and he said I could try connecting it to a computer with Linux installed because that might allow the drive to be read.

I have an old laptop that I don't ever use and figured I could download and install Linux on there to try it. Does anyone know if going through the trouble of all this would even work?
---
PSN - gldoorii
Live - xgldooriix
#2ShubPosted 11/13/2013 3:46:00 PM
You don't have to install Linux on the laptop, just download Hiren's BootCD, boot with that, load Parted Magic and see what you can do.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.