This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Rate my plans for my gaming PC. Can it handle next-gen?

#11KarateKittyKill(Topic Creator)Posted 11/13/2013 10:34:55 PM
DerPancake posted...
thatfool12Gs posted...
DerPancake posted...
thatfool12Gs posted...
I'd get the "k" version of the processor, and a 3GB card just to be a little more future ready.

No such thing as future proofing with graphics cards.

Read it again. Future ready.

Same crap and either way it berly makes a difference, and once 3GB is the standard the 280x will be outdated. So its better for him to get the better card right now which is the 770 and it comes with 3 free games, making it a better deal.

I was told in another topic that the 280x is better. Either way, with the intent of upgrading the video card by adding another, which one will be more bang for my buck?

And the i5 4670k and MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming LGA better choices with the 770 or the 280x? Or can I even buy something a little less expensive in the motherboard department?
---
Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's. Pay no attention to Caesar. Caesar doesn't have the slightest idea what's really going on.
#12fuzzymanPosted 11/13/2013 10:55:32 PM
I'd completely recommend the 4770k

Now that PS4 and Xbox One are out, it will make much more sense soon
---
http://i.imgur.com/hOjV6w3.jpg
#13KarateKittyKill(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2013 1:27:10 AM
fuzzyman posted...
I'd completely recommend the 4770k

Now that PS4 and Xbox One are out, it will make much more sense soon

It's 300 dollars though man. Can't really afford it.
---
Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's. Pay no attention to Caesar. Caesar doesn't have the slightest idea what's really going on.
#14KabtheMentatPosted 11/15/2013 1:38:40 AM
If I had to guess the requirements for Fallout 4, I'd think it would be fairly similar to Skyrim's. Willing to bet money that Fallout 4 will be built on Skyrim's engine.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson
#15DarkZV2BetaPosted 11/15/2013 1:49:36 AM
DerPancake posted...
thatfool12Gs posted...
DerPancake posted...
thatfool12Gs posted...
I'd get the "k" version of the processor, and a 3GB card just to be a little more future ready.

Same crap and either way it berly makes a difference, and once 3GB is the standard the 280x will be outdated. So its better for him to get the better card right now which is the 770 and it comes with 3 free games, making it a better deal.

Future Ready = Future Ready. A little more future ready = a little more ready for the future.
Not the same thing as future proof.
Go sit in some maple syrup.
---
Even people have toenails. Of course PCs have toenails. -claytonbuckley
#16DarkZV2BetaPosted 11/15/2013 1:52:25 AM
KarateKittyKill posted...
DerPancake posted...
thatfool12Gs posted...
DerPancake posted...
thatfool12Gs posted...

I was told in another topic that the 280x is better. Either way, with the intent of upgrading the video card by adding another, which one will be more bang for my buck?

And the i5 4670k and MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming LGA better choices with the 770 or the 280x? Or can I even buy something a little less expensive in the motherboard department?

With Z87 motherboards, you tend to get what you pay for. Cheaper boards can't deliver as much power, so you wind up with a lower potential overclock.
GD65 looks pretty damn solid, though. Should hit a nice OC on that.

Make sure you get a good aftermarket cooler as well.
---
Even people have toenails. Of course PCs have toenails. -claytonbuckley
#17KarateKittyKill(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2013 2:03:21 AM
DarkZV2Beta posted...

With Z87 motherboards, you tend to get what you pay for. Cheaper boards can't deliver as much power, so you wind up with a lower potential overclock.
GD65 looks pretty damn solid, though. Should hit a nice OC on that.

Make sure you get a good aftermarket cooler as well.

What would you recommend? So far, this is my PC build...

MSI Radeon R9 280x Gaming 3G 3GB GDDR 5 - $300
i5 4670k Intel Quad-Core, 3.4 GHZ $235-250
MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming LGA Motherboard $140-150
2x4GB Ram Sticks Ballistix - $65
Seagate Barracuda 500gb HDD - $55
Kingston V300 120GB SDD - $70-80
XFX ATX 550 Power Supply - $60-75
NZXT Tempest 410 Tower - $60
Thermaltake Frio Overclocking Universal CPU Cooler - $55

A total of….1,252 dollars (not counting sales). This will, of course, be purchased over the course of a year as to not totally destabilize my bank accounts.

What’s the final consensus, this a good build?
---
#18KabtheMentatPosted 11/15/2013 3:00:34 AM
Yeah, looks pretty solid. Shouldn't have much problems 60FPS 1080p-ing it up for the near future.
---
Skillz Ferguson
#19KarateKittyKill(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2013 3:07:03 AM
KabtheMentat posted...
Yeah, looks pretty solid. Shouldn't have much problems 60FPS 1080p-ing it up for the near future.

Could I easily add another 280x to it, or would that be overkill for the motherboard?

Also, what would you recommend for a monitor that won't cost me an arm and a leg?
---
#20KabtheMentatPosted 11/15/2013 3:15:32 AM
Monitor...****, I can't really help you there. I got my monitor from a friend. It's a LG ISP236 23 inch 1080p. It's an older monitor...think it's discontinued. But I paid $100 for it and it's pretty good.

I've heard BenQ monitors are suppose to be pretty good. Maybe look around for those in the size/resolution you want.

You could probably add another GPu just fine, but if you're single monitor/1080p-ing it up, I'm not sure what benefit you'd get out of it right now.
---
Skillz Ferguson