This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Steam Greenlight becoming a joke

#21Logical_OnePosted 11/14/2013 7:05:02 AM
jokujokujoku posted...
Greenlight has been a joke for a long time. The last straw for me was when they Greenlit that group of 100 games back in August. Half those games either looked like utter crap (concept/mechanics-wise, not graphics) or were so far from release that it's quite likely that if they ever do get released, they'll be a drastically different game from what people Greenlit. Meanwhile, a game that should have been able to bypass Greenlight in the first place (given that the developer already has two games on Steam), is already released, had an expansion in the works (recently released), has a demo so people can actually try the game before deciding whether it should be Greenlit, gets frequent updates based on community feedback (users even get credited in the patch notes), is a full fledged game with tons of content (i.e. not another freaking Android port), has won awards, has received many favorable reviews, and not to mention is actually quite fun... yes, that game languishes in Greenlight.

It is for that reason that I have not bought a single thing from Steam since August, and will continue to not buy anything (and post as such on the announcements of games being Greenlit) until that game is finally Greenlit.

TimePharaoh posted...
I wish you could unsupport a game

Cause I'd do it just to cancel out your vote

You can. You either click on "Yes" to support the game or "No Thanks / Not Interested" if you don't think it should be on Steam.

Wow--I realize your horse is really high ATM; nevertheless, please get off it...
---
Gamefaqs....the land where pokemon is the holy grail and final fantasy is God himself--Raptorleon3
#22KabtheMentatPosted 11/14/2013 7:19:01 AM
Who would give a horse drugs? That's just wrong.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson
#23PraetorXynPosted 11/14/2013 2:38:34 PM
KabtheMentat posted...
Who would give a horse drugs? That's just wrong.

I laughed for reals.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9
#24kobalobasileusPosted 11/14/2013 2:56:51 PM
ChromaticAngel posted...
Valve actually realized it was a terrible idea about one month after it went live. Even Valve hates it. They are trying to work out a system where anyone can just upload whatever they want and skip the greenlight approval process.

Uh... Isn't that called Desura?
#25codyorrPosted 11/14/2013 3:02:38 PM
The whole point of Greenlight was to push approving games onto the Steam community. Valve was being lazy, and as we all know, laziness costs you in the end. Steam earned this one.
#26ZukkusPosted 11/14/2013 3:16:34 PM
I think the influx of sidescrolling games with "indie" graphics are just as toxic to the gaming community as Call of Duty is.
---
"I just wasted a bullet. Don't waste your life." -Big Boss
#27Worknofun370Posted 11/14/2013 3:17:37 PM
Zukkus posted...
I think the influx of sidescrolling games with "indie" graphics are just as toxic to the gaming community as Call of Duty is.

"People are making games I don't like! And that's Toxic!"

The world does not revolve around you.
#28arleasPosted 11/14/2013 3:26:30 PM
Valve was being lazy

Valve is a small company...like, TOO small for the volume of business they're cranking out. When you've got just over 300 employees to handle EVERYTHING, you are either asking one guy to do a heck of a lot of work by himself, or everyone kinda takes turn doing a little bit of everything (which as I understand it, that is pretty much how it goes). They really should hire some people dedicated to handling customer service and public relations. Instead they hire an economist so they can study hat sales :I

I think their intention wasn't "Hey, let's be a bunch of lazy jerks and let the customer do all of our work! HA HA!" so much as giving the customer a way to show what they REALLY wanted on steam. The jerks in this situation were the ones who loaded up greenlight with joke submissions (forcing Valve to do something to make people show they're serious before they can get on grenlight, like donating $100 to charity)...

Also I imagine they're trying really hard to be fair to everyone. The one case I can think of where a game "languished' on greenlight was Paranautical Activity. They were so desperate to get on steam they almost sold their souls to Adult Swim (who were gonna push it through until steam said no). They figured if you were on greenlight, you had to be approved through it rather than bypassing it.

They eventually made it anyway... it just took a long time.

Not every game on greenlight is trash...looking at the stuff that's already been released: Pool Nation is pretty damn good, Rogue Legacy is fun, Papers Please is OK, Stanley Parable is Hilarious (but short), Euro Truck Sim 2 is pretty good... That's about all I can personally vouch for.

I think Greenlight needs to be reworked somehow, but I have no idea what I'd do to make it better.
---
http://astats.astats.nl/astats/astats_card_76561197969913402.png
http://i.imgur.com/ByJEpRK.gif
#29ChromaticAngelPosted 11/14/2013 3:31:24 PM
kobalobasileus posted...
ChromaticAngel posted...
Valve actually realized it was a terrible idea about one month after it went live. Even Valve hates it. They are trying to work out a system where anyone can just upload whatever they want and skip the greenlight approval process.

Uh... Isn't that called Desura?

Desura is awful and they're trying to find a way to make it not awful.
---
"The easiest way to stop piracy is ... by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." ~ Gabe Newell.