This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

More great news for Linux - AMD Wants Mantle On Linux, OS X, Mobile Devices

#1ECOsvaldoPosted 11/14/2013 11:21:59 AM
AMD Wants Mantle On Linux, OS X, Mobile Devices

As part of the recent Radeon Rx 200 series and Hawaii GPU launch, AMD also unveiled Mantle as a new graphics rendering API to compete with OpenGL and Direct3D. AMD claims Mantle is easier, faster, and all-around better than OpenGL for game engines and other purposes. This week AMD has renewed their push that they want to see Mantle on Linux and other platforms.

SOURCE: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTUxMzY

Things are just looking up and up!
---
PSN ID: ecosvaldo | 3DS Friend Code: 2707-1633-0103 | PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/ABH
#2snkboiPosted 11/14/2013 11:23:00 AM
this is great! really, really great!
---
i think it's nice
#3DoramiPosted 11/14/2013 11:32:14 AM
So does that mean they will actually have Linux driver support that's not complete garbage?
---
"...Ashley takes on Lord Blazer alone in a white cape with flowing rockstar hair while playing his impossibly cool sword as a guitar..." - LBoksha
#4Killah PriestPosted 11/14/2013 11:35:04 AM
they should worry about the lack of stock with 290x cards.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#5ThePCElitistPosted 11/14/2013 11:37:21 AM
Killah Priest posted...
they should worry about the lack of stock with 290x cards.

I bought them all. Come at me.
---
I hate windows 8!
#6godplaysSNESPosted 11/14/2013 11:39:56 AM
If Valve wants to push SteamOS and Steam machines, Valve should definitely support Mantle.

AMD's APUs could be great entry-level PCs
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#7Killah PriestPosted 11/14/2013 11:40:12 AM

its ok, I got a 780ti instead...
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#8ShubPosted 11/14/2013 11:40:34 AM(edited)
As much as I like the idea of Mantle and even though I've used nothing but AMD cards for years (not out of personal preference but because they were always better values at the time I was in the market for a new card), I can't seem to get excited for it just yet.

Right now it looks like a proprietary API that only works with AMD cards, so developers would have to start using it instead of OpenGL or Direct3D, and in doing so they would effectively be excluding owners of nVidia cards from being able to play games developed for Mantle. If you want to support non-Mantle cards, you have to do additional work to support Direct3D and/or OpenGL on top of Mantle. That may put people off from doing it at all unless it's actually not a whole lot of work to implement Mantle.

It's great for consumer devices that can't be customized and have an AMD graphics solution, though.

Do tell if I'm missing something.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#9ThePCElitistPosted 11/14/2013 11:41:53 AM
Killah Priest posted...

its ok, I got a 780ti instead...

I bought all those too. I needed a loan though for those.
---
I hate windows 8!