This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Hows the game "Towns"?

#1mattcorley1212Posted 11/14/2013 12:08:22 PM
its the cheapest ive seen on steam and have been kinda interested in it, but what are you guys opinions?
---
"this fit like clothes made outta wasp"
Psn-Flipadelphia09
#2SinisterSlayPosted 11/14/2013 12:09:15 PM
I thought it looked interesting but then found out it was unfinished when it was released. I never checked it since.

The requirement for Java sort of turned me away as well.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#3CatToyPosted 11/14/2013 12:11:52 PM
Ignore it. The developers have taken an "extended hiatus" from development.
---
pon pon way way way ponpon way pon way pon pon, way way ponponpon way way pon way pon way way.
#4ShadowThaReaperPosted 11/14/2013 12:13:18 PM
Still unfinished. Surprise surprise.

Just play Dwarf Fortress.
#5JKatarnPosted 11/14/2013 12:14:45 PM
CatToy posted...

That's the problem with buying pre-release games, unless it's something incredibly popular like Minecraft or Terraria etc., it seems like the developers motivation really drops off. Shame, the game looked like it had promise.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#6SinisterSlayPosted 11/14/2013 12:15:41 PM
JKatarn posted...
CatToy posted...

That's the problem with buying pre-release games, unless it's something incredibly popular like Minecraft or Terraria etc., it seems like the developers motivation really drops off. Shame, the game looked like it had promise.

As I recall, the controversy was that it wasn't advertised as a pre-release, but as a finished game.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#7wizardmonPosted 11/14/2013 12:17:15 PM
CatToy posted...

It was updated 45 days ago.

That's super extended I guess?
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#8CatToyPosted 11/14/2013 12:24:45 PM(edited)
wizardmon posted...
CatToy posted...

It was updated 45 days ago.

That's super extended I guess?

Yeah, it looks like it was updated a few times in September. However prior to that the last update was May 1st, and the developers actually posted that they had just lost interest in the project.

Here is the thread:
http://www.townsgame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10615

Either way, the game is not getting the same attention that it used to, I would still stay away.
---
pon pon way way way ponpon way pon way pon pon, way way ponponpon way way pon way pon way way.
#9arleasPosted 11/14/2013 12:59:03 PM
That's the problem with buying pre-release games

Yeah, this was before Steam made "early release" a thing. The developers were basically barely scraping by so the instant it got greenlit, they changed from "alpha" to "ready to be bought" with no word on the store page to tell you that's what was going on.

The game was buggy, it crashed a lot, the "townies" did stupid stuff like running all the way across the map to fight an enemy just so he could pick up a bone (from the last guy dumb enough to do that), and a whole lot more was wrong with it...

Since its "Release" I've seen about 3 or 4 updates so it's not completely abandoned, but the last time I loaded it up to see how much had changed, it looked not much different from the state it was in when it went from alpha to complete overnight.

So yeah, there's a risk when you buy a game before it's ready... it's nice to know in advance that you're taking such a risk. I think if the devs had been a bit more open and honest then they'd be much better off... Also, I liked the game enough to play it for more than 10 hours, but it felt clunky and "half-baked".

Here is the thread:
http://www.townsgame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10615

If anything, that thread says that they're gonna fix it... but they're not going to make up a date for it to happen only for them to miss that date. It's probably better that way.

If you buy it, expect it to be very rough and unfinished. If you're willing to wait, maybe they'll fix it. I only spent $12 on it, and I got a little enjoyment out of it. I think they have a demo up now so try that. If you're totally in love with the demo, then buy it. If you're not totally in love with it, wait 6 more months and ask again.
---
http://astats.astats.nl/astats/astats_card_76561197969913402.png
http://i.imgur.com/Im803Gk.gif