This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any tips to remove Nvidia graphics drivers?

#1JockoPosted 11/14/2013 2:47:41 PM
I'm uninstalling an Nvidia card on my buddies computer (WindowsXP) and installing an AMD card. Should I just uninstall through Add/Remove Programs, Device Manager, some drive sweeper program or a combination of these? I've heard stories of Nvidia and AMD drivers conflicting and want to make sure everything is clean.
---
The oxygen's leaving my brain!!! --Clucky the Chicken
()===={SWORDSWORDSWORDSWORD> It's my SWORD sword.
#2jonnyram4000Posted 11/14/2013 2:50:34 PM
I use DDU http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=379506 works no problem
---
3820 5ghz | 16GB DDR3 | 3way FTW670 4gb |Sammy 830 256gb SSD I sammy 1tb l Mobo ASUS Rampage IV Formula l ASUS PB278Ql PSU ST1500 l HD598 l HDTV PN51D8000
#3mycousinvinniePosted 11/14/2013 2:51:15 PM
I would just use add/remove program
#4Killah PriestPosted 11/14/2013 2:51:33 PM
driver sweepers can easily mess up your system more than just uninstalling the drivers.

uninstall normally
regedit and search for nvidia deleting all entries

show all files in file explorer and look for hidden nvidia directories

I've swapped many times for testing purposes and I just uninstall normally without regedit and have never had conflicts.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#5SnipeStarPosted 11/14/2013 3:07:27 PM
youre a terrible buddy for infecting his computer with catalyst control center
---
i7 3820 / Corsair H80i | Asus Sabertooth X79 | 2x GTX 680 4GB | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x 600GB Raptor / 2x 1TB WD RE3 | Corsair HX1000w | Silverstone RV01
#6JKatarnPosted 11/14/2013 3:13:39 PM
Killah Priest posted...
driver sweepers can easily mess up your system more than just uninstalling the drivers.

uninstall normally
regedit and search for nvidia deleting all entries

show all files in file explorer and look for hidden nvidia directories

I've swapped many times for testing purposes and I just uninstall normally without regedit and have never had conflicts.

Conversely I have used driver sweeper countless times and it has never caused any issues, on the contrary, it fixed some driver issues a few times, and since it basically does everything you've outlined automatically (without the risk of the user accidentally deleting a key/tree they shouldn't have) it's actually much safer than manually deleting entries/directories for the average user.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#7Killah PriestPosted 11/14/2013 3:20:05 PM
I just said a way it could be done not that it should be done. I really said to just uninstall them using the normal uninstaller.

Driver sweepers are known to cause issues for people it should be noted anytime you mention the program. Its just being responsible.
---
#8JKatarnPosted 11/14/2013 3:29:30 PM
Killah Priest posted...
I just said a way it could be done not that it should be done. I really said to just uninstall them using the normal uninstaller.

Driver sweepers are known to cause issues for people it should be noted anytime you mention the program. Its just being responsible.

Yes, they can cause issues if you use the program recklessly, like uninstalling your motherboard/audio etc. drivers when you just wanted to wipe your video drivers, but all you have to do is be careful what you click on and there's very little possibility of any problems. Your manual solution is far more likely to cause problems as someone could mis-click while they are navigating the labyrinthine registry and or double tab delete and delete an important system setting key etc. vs. ticking the "nvidia graphics driver" and clicking "clean". I have never heard of someone (who knows how to use the program) messing up their system using Driver Sweeper, and if someone is claiming that chances are they a.) deleted wrong drivers b.) have bigger problems with their system/hardware issues that can't be solved with a driver re-install.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
#9Killah PriestPosted 11/14/2013 3:33:49 PM
Find someone else to argue with.

Editing your registry can definitely cause problems and driver sweeper programs are terrible.
---
#10JKatarnPosted 11/14/2013 3:40:44 PM
Killah Priest posted...
Find someone else to argue with.

Editing your registry can definitely cause problems and driver sweeper programs are terrible.

Ie. you have no ground to stand on, and these two people who supposedly had their system messed up are novice/inexperienced users that barely know how to use a computer. I have used the program countless times with zero problems - that is not to say it can't cause issues, but it is a far better/safer solution for someone who doesn't know their way around the registry, and anybody with a lick of technical sense/knowledge will tell you that.
---