This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

It is agreed upon here that Guild Wars 2 is the best MMO on the market?

#21Orestes417Posted 11/14/2013 4:14:09 PM
The problem is, in stripping away any incentive to do... well anything really, GW2 has made the most vapid experience imaginable. It's like a TES game taken to it's insanely bland and boring logical extreme. No direction, no reward, no real barriers to overcome, and damn little reason to bother doing anything.
---
I am the mighty thesaurus! RAWR!
#22MaximoomPosted 11/14/2013 4:18:58 PM
Didnt played it yet.

I like Planetside 2, my favorite MMO right now.
#23Rexdragon125Posted 11/14/2013 4:23:41 PM
Stuff I posted in a similar topic a few days ago.

Oh god this game is so overrated and I don't get it.

PvE is a bore. There's so little strategy involved, and builds that emphasize conditions, healing, tankiness or crowd control are actively discouraged by the game mechanics. There are condition caps that are easily hit by 2 people, which limits their overall damage. Boss level enemies are basically immune to crowd control. All enemies ever do is run up to you and attack. The only use for crowd control is to interrupt an enemy attack, but since the enemy's cooldown is shorter than your interrupt's it's pretty much useless.

Want to be a tank? Even players with pure defensive stats can still be insta killed by bosses. Healers are useless because the healing stat scales poorly. You use your healing skill and it lets you take maybe one extra attack every 30 seconds, whoopdeedoo.

So the only option in PvE is to be a glass cannon and kill things faster than they can kill you.

They try to use the same class balance in PvE that they use for PvP, so balance is just a train wreck.

World vs World has potential to be interesting, but it's unplayable. You'll run with a big zerg, and when you encounter another zerg, you'll try to attack, but can't. The server can't handle the traffic, and your moves can take over a minute to execute. So, both zergs will just stare at each other waiting for their attacks.

PvP is just point capture I think? Who cares.

Even though GW2 tries to be casual, it fails to be even remotely competent. A few more things:

Lots of useless skills. All of the classes have one useful elite skill, two if they're lucky. The rest are just utterly useless novelties with huge cooldowns. There's one called "Artillery Barrage". It does exactly what it says, but you're lucky if it even hits anything.

Lackluster skill trees. They don't change how you play the game whatsoever. All you do is build them around the weapons you like to use, because they're mostly statistical nonsense. Axes do 5% more damage. Survival skills have 10% less cooldown. There's a small chance for this subtle thing to happen and it has a 2 minute cooldown. Who cares.

They have a Living Story where they add events that change the map temporarily. The plot's garbage though. Every chapter goes like this:

"Group A and Group B have joined forces for no reason and are called the Who Cares Alliance! Mastermind Scarlet Brier is behind it! What does she want? We'll tell you but we're gonna drag this out for as long as we can, even though she's just a cardboard cutout Saturday morning villain! Grind 100 Who Cares Alliance events and get this shiny useless thing!"

Guild Wars has a rich and interesting lore, and I'd love to interact with it. Unfortunately Anet will have none of that.
#24BowsaaPosted 11/14/2013 4:36:54 PM
Orestes417 posted...
The problem is, in stripping away any incentive to do... well anything really, GW2 has made the most vapid experience imaginable. It's like a TES game taken to it's insanely bland and boring logical extreme. No direction, no reward, no real barriers to overcome, and damn little reason to bother doing anything.

The issue is that you think that gear is the only acceptable reason to do something.

There's plenty of stuff to do; do it to get the new look, go do PvP to have fun, etc. There's plenty of incentive; you're just choosing to ignore it. Even if you don't care about the incentive (I don't) there's still more then enough content to keep you busy.
---
RENAMON!! *weeping* YOU HAVEN'T BENT ANYONE OVER THE SINK AND SHOVED A "CHECK THE STICKY* UP THEIR ASS IN MONTHS!! *curls into ball crying*- Cither3000
#25KillerTrufflePosted 11/14/2013 4:46:56 PM
I do not see mindless grindfests and camping at creature spawn areas with 15 other people on the same quest, all competing for the same limited resource, as legitimate "barriers to overcome." I see it as poor game design.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#26urtvPosted 11/14/2013 4:48:59 PM
it was fun for about a month or so after it came out
dungeons are horribly designed.might as well just remove all trash mobs and have us kill the bosses in succession
armor repair in wvw is stupid.dying in pve is avoidable,wvw is not
legendary is still a joke to obtain.no skill whatsoever
#27Orestes417Posted 11/14/2013 5:04:53 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
I do not see mindless grindfests and camping at creature spawn areas with 15 other people on the same quest, all competing for the same limited resource, as legitimate "barriers to overcome." I see it as poor game design.

Not the barriers I'm talking about bro. Commit or go home, you chose to go home. You don't get the game, you never will. It's just a fact of life.
---
I am the mighty thesaurus! RAWR!
#28Knighted DragonPosted 11/14/2013 6:12:09 PM
I have over 200 hours in Guild Wars 2, and I have to say . . .the game is just pretty boring gameplay wise. The stories are interesting and the game looks beautiful and has some very beautiful scenery in some places, but man is that combat freaking boring. Big boss battles are especially bad, you just stand next to the other 80 people who are attacking the boss for 10 minutes until the boss finally dies. Most of the enemies in the late game are risen as well, which are terrible enemies who are extremely unfun to fight against.

The dungeons are very grindy as well, but not in a fun way either. I don't mind grinding in games but dungeons take for ever, and people are extremely elitist about ONLY letting Guardians, Mesmer, and Warrior on their dungeon team. The jumping puzzles are some of the most fun I've had in that game, but the platforming in that game is horrifically bad despite them being fun. Really, most things besides combat are relatively fun , but the combat is just so bland and boring that it just made me quit.

That said, again, I still have over 200 hours in it and would probably play through it again with a new character if more of my friends played it
---
Matthew 7:21
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/2492/gyenyame.jpg
#29-GhosT-Posted 11/14/2013 6:15:57 PM
DerPancake posted...
Call me a weeaboo, but I think this was the best MMO:

http://i.imgur.com/AJj98Ee.jpg

Now all MMOs feel like crap.

War of Emperium made that game.. But the SoundTeMP OST sold it!

I agree with you, and the only thing that really got on that level of long-term fun after that was Dungeons & Dragons Online... mostly because I'm a basement nerd, and 'Wail of the Banshee'ing + 'Finger of Death'ing Epic mobs is our kind's wet dreams.
---
I'm A Man of Principles, Damn Near Invincible