This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Games with great sound design

#1revolverPosted 11/14/2013 7:02:38 PM
Playing through System Shock 2 again and I can't get over how amazing this game sounds 14 years later. The voice acting, the humming of the ships systems in the background and the sound effects are all some of the best in the industry so far IMO.

What games do you think compare?
---
2500K @ 4.5 | GTX 670 | 4 GB | TX 650 | 128 GB ssd | CM 690 II
#2Cool_Dude667Posted 11/14/2013 7:11:22 PM
Starcraft + Brood War
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi
#3TheWayOfTheGunPosted 11/14/2013 8:46:12 PM
My favorites...

Halo 1
Comdemned: Criminal Origins
MGS 4
Battlefield 2
Bioshock
DeadSpace
---
Glorious God Gamers > PC Master Race > Console Peasants ---> http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/508/644/9eb.jpg
#4wizardmonPosted 11/14/2013 8:48:38 PM
DiRT2 and three had some of the best sounds in video games. I enjoyed DiRT2 more though.

The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay also had some fantastic sound implementation, one of the first games that actually used quadrophonic ambient noise-scapes.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#5daemon_danPosted 11/14/2013 8:50:07 PM
Not a PC game but Fatal Frame (the first one at least) had some fantastic sound. And unnerving as s***
---
"Frightened by your own smell. Bitterness will run you through."
~In Flames: Bullet Ride
#6DarkZV2BetaPosted 11/14/2013 8:54:17 PM
Unreal had some fantastic sound design. So did Half Life.
A lot of SNES games had really good sound as well. Super Metroid, most of Squaresoft's library, ect
Also, Wild Arms series has some beautiful, well balanced music.
Metroid Prime has some of the best sound design in any game.
---
Even people have toenails. Of course PCs have toenails. -claytonbuckley
#7Chaos_MissilePosted 11/14/2013 8:56:25 PM
Personally, I would say War for Cybertron.

Yes, I'm biased since I just recently finish it, but the sound was pretty good that there were times I did feel like I was watching a movie. Didnt help that I played it through a headphone.
---
Action speaks louder than words. But words, when used right, overwhelm any action - Me, 2006
Let's put a smile on that face - The Joker, 2008
#8daemon_danPosted 11/14/2013 8:58:59 PM
Oh man, how could I forget this one. Tales of Legendia. Holy freaking crap. All the music is done by the New Japan Philharmonic. They're amazing. I think all the music captures the moods of the game and areas, but some might find the soundtrack overpowering to the overall game. But regardless of if it overpowers the game, the music is amazing.
---
"Frightened by your own smell. Bitterness will run you through."
~In Flames: Bullet Ride
#9ZeraphLordSPosted 11/14/2013 9:01:42 PM
Dead Space (dat contextual music)
Crysis 2 had some great volume-based occlusion DSP.

There's a few more technically impressive titles I just can't remember now.
---
The best course of action is to just get the information you need, then get out while you're still alive. - destroy everything on GameFAQs
#10NfuzedXGamerPosted 11/14/2013 9:10:00 PM
Dead Space was one worth mentioning, FEAR 2 was decent in that department. For immersion Battlefield 4 with its frostbite 3 engine has some damn good sound i will admit even though i only played the beta.