This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Could you make money building computers and selling them on craigslist?

#1Rigby_RaccoonPosted 11/14/2013 7:08:06 PM
I have an idea: I could build computers, then sell them for big profits to people who don't know enough about computers.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/22tEC

Here's a build I tossed together that I was thinking of using. Costs less than $400, and I could possibly get $600 for it (compared to computers sold on newegg and on my local craigslist). Would this actually work? Has anyone tried doing something like this?

You could probably pour a little more money into this build, then make an even larger profit out of it.
---
http://i.imgur.com/SrNgux6.png
#2Vs1991Posted 11/14/2013 7:09:42 PM
if you dont live in a peasant city theres places that can build your pc with parts you pick for $50
#3r7gerrabbitPosted 11/14/2013 7:11:44 PM(edited)
Depends entirely on your location. Everywhere is different with different demands. Where I live all the PC shops except 1 has closed down because nobody wants desktops anymore.

And our local PC shop will put the PC together for you for like $75 if you buy everything from them. They even price match online competition.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Mqy7G.gif
#4ArkonBladePosted 11/14/2013 7:32:10 PM
You could try one but I'd also add I'd only try this if you live in a well populated area. id have to agree with the other poster most people who come in casually to PC gaming do it with laptops. they don't like the idea of sitting at a desk and having a big bulky rig. Also most of them don't give a crap about running things at high or max settings they just want to run the game period.

Those who do build desktops who don't know any thing about it some times have friends or family that help them. I'd say try one see how it goes worst case you could sell it online and just make a smaller profit if you cant move it.
---
SRPG games...i just love them!
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade
#5BkongoPosted 11/14/2013 7:44:19 PM
Check around if there are other businesses doing the same thing but sure, it's possible.
#6DerPancakePosted 11/14/2013 7:55:42 PM(edited)
No, its harder than you think, and there is many business doing that already.

Rather offer your services for a cheaper price than the competition.
---
EVGA
#7Lady UnePosted 11/14/2013 8:10:17 PM
A guy at my local Sears (small town built onto Kmart type Sears) literally "cleans" peoples PC's for $40 a pop.

He runs ccleaner and defraggler and makes sure they have MSSE/WD and Spybot installed.

Sometimes he will take a week to do it just because he's lazy and doesn't give a f***.

They rave about how amazing he is at "fixing" slow PC's. -.-
---
Leader of the Elder Cult of Jiub.
I still love Scribs.
#8Rigby_Raccoon(Topic Creator)Posted 11/14/2013 8:36:12 PM
Lady Une posted...
A guy at my local Sears (small town built onto Kmart type Sears) literally "cleans" peoples PC's for $40 a pop.

He runs ccleaner and defraggler and makes sure they have MSSE/WD and Spybot installed.

Sometimes he will take a week to do it just because he's lazy and doesn't give a f***.

They rave about how amazing he is at "fixing" slow PC's. -.-

lmao and that actually works? I'm definitely going to try this at least, as long as there's not already people doing this here.
---
http://i.imgur.com/SrNgux6.png
#9exclusiveburnerPosted 11/14/2013 8:42:52 PM
Doesn't work well. I've tried doing it for $50 cash, and I've had at least ten emails, but people always flake out. I'm in New York....
#10El_KazPosted 11/14/2013 8:48:24 PM
The problem is it's never going to be just buy-build-sell.
You have to factor in all the time you're going to waste on people negotiating / lowballing you with ridiculous offers, or showing up to the buy with "not enough money" (craigslist always has a lot of those).
Then there's your computer illiterate clients who did buy from you and now expect you to be their tech support ad infinitum because its not "working properly", or just asking for a refund (since it's craigslist and not ebay, you can mostly ignore them... but antagonizing people living in your close proximity might catch on to you eventually).

So, could you make a profit? Sure.
Would that profit be much higher than what you'd make putting in the same hours in a minimum wage job? Not likely.
---
Wait... what?