This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is the Intel stock cooler enough for non-K versions?

#1temgunPosted 11/15/2013 3:56:07 AM
Specifically i5 4670? I'm building a PC for someone who really isn't familiar with computers at all, so I figures a non-K version will do. The PC will be used for gaming though. Is the stock cooler enough for gaming?
#2KabtheMentatPosted 11/15/2013 4:02:20 AM
Yeah, the newer i5s aren't suppose to run very hot to begin with, they don't use a whole lot of power. You can even overclock some of them a little without needing a cooler.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson
#3temgun(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2013 4:04:02 AM
How quiet are they compared to something like 212 EVO?
#4KabtheMentatPosted 11/15/2013 4:07:03 AM
Not too sure. I don't personally own an i5 (yet, unfortunately...I want a 4670K). So I only know from what I'd read from various tech sites and heard from people I've talked to about this. So take what I have to say with a grain of salt, but I believe other people that do have these CPUs will more or less confirm what I'm saying.

I mean, it can't really hurt to get a better cooler, but if you don't have to spend the extra $30 then why not.
---
Skillz Ferguson
#5Lady UnePosted 11/15/2013 5:38:04 AM
As a general rule of thumb a stock cooler is fine for anything, even under heavy load, so long as you don't plan to OC.
---
Leader of the Elder Cult of Jiub.
I still love Scribs.
#6LordSeiferPosted 11/15/2013 5:46:02 AM
you can also OC on the stock cooler, just not as much

why would the stock cooler NOT be fine? you think they are going to ship you a product with a warranty that explodes?
---
^ this
#7KabtheMentatPosted 11/15/2013 5:55:42 AM
LordSeifer posted...

why would the stock cooler NOT be fine? you think they are going to ship you a product with a warranty that explodes?

Well...
---
Skillz Ferguson
#8temgun(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2013 5:58:15 AM
LordSeifer posted...

No idea, I've never used a stock cooler in my builds and I've always been under an impression that they are quite bad anyway.
#9KabtheMentatPosted 11/15/2013 6:05:42 AM
I think that's mostly AMD stuff because they tend to get hotter.

But still, so long as you're not really OCing much it should be fine.
---
Skillz Ferguson
#10Flaktrooper123Posted 11/15/2013 6:22:31 AM
In case you are not aware, bigger fan means less noise. My NH-D14 with 2 fans makes less noise than the intel stock cooler, just for information.