This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is the Intel stock cooler enough for non-K versions?

#11_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 11/15/2013 3:19:17 PM
Stock cooler will do.

But there are some things that influence that. Such as airflow of your case, ambient temperatures and so on. Generally it should be ok, when you are in doubt you can always just use something like HWmonitor to check whether the temperatures are ok. I know that the 3570 ran so hot sometimes under full load, that some people decided to put an aftermarket cooler on it, even when not overclocking. The 4670 is supposed to run cooler though.
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#12reincarnator07Posted 11/15/2013 3:53:38 PM
I used the stock cooler for about 5 months before picking up my Hyper 212. It was fine and I was able to OC it a little bit while keeping the temps reasonable. I also did a build a few months back with a 4670k for a friend and it's fine.

The noise might bug you though. I'd avoid the stock cooler if possible just because it's bloody loud.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#13WygunPosted 11/15/2013 4:04:07 PM
LordSeifer posted...
you can also OC on the stock cooler, just not as much

why would the stock cooler NOT be fine? you think they are going to ship you a product with a warranty that explodes?

You never owned an AMD cpu right?
#14ShubPosted 11/15/2013 4:18:00 PM
The stock cooler is OK and definitely sufficient for whatever you could do with the CPU it ships with. Mild overclocking has been known to be OK, too. In any case though, the stock fan is often a bit noisy and the cooler as a whole doesn't perform all that well. It's adequate and that's about it.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#15PhilOnDezPosted 11/15/2013 4:54:10 PM
I didn't notice the stock fan being noticeably loud, I think my case has pretty good acoustics though. I did, however, have a problem with the power cable for it being in a position where the blades would hit it and make kind of a clicking noise. This was while it was in the little clips around the edge so I wouldn't advise trying to use them. I just pulled it all the way out and folded it up fairly tight and secured it to a random cable with a twisty tie.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#16VIP86Posted 11/15/2013 5:13:27 PM
I used the stock cooler for about 2 weeks until my H100i came in. It's adequate, but I personally found it to be a bit loud to my liking.
---
i5-3570K| MAXIMUS V GENE| ASUS DCUII 670| CORSAIR XMS3 8GB| CORSAIR 350D| INTEL 520 180GB| CORSAIR H110i| CORSAIR AX750
#17PraetorXynPosted 11/15/2013 11:16:59 PM
I wouldn't bother with them.
If you ever want to OC, or you want something quieter, you're going to be taking the stock cooler off, then you have to clean and reapply thermal paste. May as well do it correctly the first time.

If you want air cooler, get the Phanteks PH-TC14PE, which will give you 2-3 degrees better temps than the Noctua NH-D14 and looks a hell of a lot nicer than Noctua's poop brown color scheme.

If you want a closed loop water cooler, the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO is great for the price of $30, but if you want something comparable to the best air coolers you need something like the H100i or better. The main advantage to closed loop coolers is that they're far less bulky, and won't block RAM heatsinks if you have those.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9