This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Need some help figuring out why my PC shuts off randomly

#1TropicMoon10Posted 11/15/2013 10:37:01 AM(edited)
Basically, every so often my computer shuts off completely without any warning. My motherboard's power indicator light stays lit but I can't turn the PC back on again unless I unplug the PSU from the wall and reinsert, in which case it turns on again instantly without issues.

I built this computer around a year and a half ago, and it's been happening once every couple of months since last february. BUT ever since 2 months ago, I noticed it's been happening more frequently, like once every couple of weeks now. Most of the time it happens while I'm under heavy load (gaming) but I have had it happen a couple of times while just idling.

I'm almost certain it's not my CPU. I have Core Temp always running. Even during really heavy load I never go over 70C, and like I said, it HAS happened while the PC was idling at 30-35C. I feel like it's the power supply. I was on a budget and kind of cheapened out on it. But does that explain why my motherboard's LED light stays on while the power button doesn't work? I'm worried it could be my mobo. I don't want to spend the money on a new PSU just to find out it's still not solved.

Specs:

CPU -Phenom II X4 @ 3ghz (stock clock and cooler)
Motherboard -Asus M5A78L-M LX3
RAM -4gb G.Skill @ 1333mhz
HDD -Hitachi Deskstar 500gb
GPU -HIS Radeon 7750
PSU -Generic 400w power supply (came with the case <_<).
OS -Windows 7 64-bit
---
-TropicMoon - as humid as a summer's day on triton
http://i.imgur.com/N9lTE.jpg
#2Cade6669Posted 11/15/2013 10:21:17 AM
I'm not saying it's your PSU but I've had similar problems and when I increased my wattage with a new PSU the problem went away.
---
Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/SuperKing61
I love you.
#3protools1983Posted 11/15/2013 10:23:35 AM
Does the system restart? Could be a bluescreen that shuts the system down so fast you don't see the error message. Check your Windows error logs.
---
Stand up for consumer rights! Vote with your dollar! Boycott Xbox One!!!
#4AltmadragonPosted 11/15/2013 10:33:54 AM(edited)
It is your crappy psu, no offense to you. It's crappy an can't provide your system enough juice anymore to handle under load situations.

If I was you I'd get rid of it as soon as possible before it fries the rest of your system.
---
Ha! Made you read |TJ07| i5-3570k| Asus p8z77-v| GB GTX 770 4gb sli|16gb Corsair veng| 1TB WD HDx2| 128gb Samsung ssd| XSPC Raystorm RS360 kit|
#5StingyrayPosted 11/15/2013 10:34:02 AM
Cade6669 posted...
I'm not saying it's your PSU but I've had similar problems and when I increased my wattage with a new PSU the problem went away.

That. I replaced my PSU a few months ago and that is what it was doing. If you don't want to replace it because you don't think it is the problem, unplug it and take it in to get checked.
---
Gaming. Mac. Pick one, not both. -HappyKhicken
#6AsucaHayashiPosted 11/15/2013 10:35:39 AM
Even during really heavy load I never go over 70C

i freak out whenever my phenom II hits 61C which means it's time for a dust off.

what's your average temp under load?
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy. http://www.steamgamesales.com/
#7TropicMoon10(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2013 10:38:26 AM
AsucaHayashi posted...

Mid 60s. but isn't the max like 80 degrees? That's what Core Temp says.
---
#8AltmadragonPosted 11/15/2013 10:41:23 AM
TropicMoon10 posted...
AsucaHayashi posted...

Mid 60s. but isn't the max like 80 degrees? That's what Core Temp says.

It's the power supply
---
Ha! Made you read |TJ07| i5-3570k| Asus p8z77-v| GB GTX 770 4gb sli|16gb Corsair veng| 1TB WD HDx2| 128gb Samsung ssd| XSPC Raystorm RS360 kit|
#9TropicMoon10(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2013 10:41:37 AM
Altmadragon posted...
It is your crappy psu, no offense to you. It's crappy an can't provide your system enough juice anymore to handle under load situations.

If I was you I'd get rid of it as soon as possible before it fries the rest of your system.

I know I took a big risk doing this. I'll definitely get a more reliable one. Would 400w be enough for my specs?
---
#10AltmadragonPosted 11/15/2013 10:52:34 AM
TropicMoon10 posted...
Altmadragon posted...

I know I took a big risk doing this. I'll definitely get a more reliable one. Would 400w be enough for my specs?

Find a good psu 400-500w with a known name and search for some reviews

corsair an seasonic both have good psu's in that range for about 50$
---