This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Need a secondary storage drive. This worth it, or wait for Black Friday?

#1Silver Shadow XPosted 11/15/2013 9:37:08 AM
Newegg for whatever reason REALLY wants me to spend every dime I have before Black Friday actually gets here. I'm not sure if these early sales they're doing are actually as good or not. Thoughts?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236339&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL111513&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL111513-_-EMC-111513-Index-_-InternalHardDrives-_-22236339-L0A

My 1TB drive is at it's limit now with 29.7 GB. I need something new before the new year. Preferably before Christmas even. Note that my main drive is a 1TB Caviar Black and I don't presently use an SSD (that'll have to wait for my next build probably).

Anyway, do you think I could do better within a similar price range on Black Friday/Cyber Monday? I'd like to keep it to $80 or less.
---
I suppose I should probably update this signature soon.
#2AltmadragonPosted 11/15/2013 9:39:52 AM
Silver Shadow X posted...
Newegg for whatever reason REALLY wants me to spend every dime I have before Black Friday actually gets here. I'm not sure if these early sales they're doing are actually as good or not. Thoughts?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236339&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL111513&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL111513-_-EMC-111513-Index-_-InternalHardDrives-_-22236339-L0A

My 1TB drive is at it's limit now with 29.7 GB. I need something new before the new year. Preferably before Christmas even. Note that my main drive is a 1TB Caviar Black and I don't presently use an SSD (that'll have to wait for my next build probably).

Anyway, do you think I could do better within a similar price range on Black Friday/Cyber Monday? I'd like to keep it to $80 or less.

Why not just get a ssd though... I mean it won't solve your problems like another 1tb drive but honestly when's the last time you cleaned your drive of unused files.
---
Ha! Made you read |TJ07| i5-3570k| Asus p8z77-v| GB GTX 770 4gb sli|16gb Corsair veng| 1TB WD HDx2| 128gb Samsung ssd| XSPC Raystorm RS360 kit|
#3someflamablekidPosted 11/15/2013 9:51:50 AM
I also would suggest an ssd. Either 120 or higher. Maybe clean up your HDD. I recently got a 3TB western digital green for about $100. It was a good deal.
#4Silver Shadow X(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2013 9:57:51 AM
Is an SSD really that big a deal? I mean, everything I want to do runs fine as is at the moment...

But, don't think I can. There are a number of games I'm technically not playing that I could uninstall and gain a lot of space from, but a basic cleanup won't give more than 2 gigs or so. It's all stuff I actually want to keep more or less, so I kind of need the extra space.

However, I do have my previous Samsung Drive sitting in still. I originally bought the Caviar Black because reading claimed that drive was failing. But, a year later, it's still sitting there, seemingly perfectly functional from day to day. Slow read/write though I think...

That 3tb green sounds like a nice deal as well. I could get a lot more use out of that.
---
#5AsucaHayashiPosted 11/15/2013 10:08:56 AM
just do it.

you should only get an SSD if you want stuff to load faster while there's no replacement for space issues and you really can't have too much space unless we're talking double digit TBs in which case you should reevaluate life >_>.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy. http://www.steamgamesales.com/
#6Knight2520Posted 11/15/2013 10:12:22 AM(edited)
Greens are intended for low powered storage that's rarely used, like backup drives. Personally I'd avoid the 3 TB Greens, as they have had issues in the past. I'm not sure if they've been fixed.

If you want a drive intended for daily use, a Blue is perfect. I have two 1TB Blue drives myself and I'm quite happy with them.

An SSD is a luxury, but it's definitely worth the money. After the BIOS splash, my computer boots to the desktop and is completely usable in under 10 seconds. It's really amazing.
---
can u even count 30 in 1 second? no, u can't. so u can't tell difference between 30fps and 60fps. stupid. -Shinobier-
#7Silver Shadow X(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2013 10:18:28 AM
Knight2520 posted...
An SSD is a luxury, but it's definitely worth the money. After the BIOS splash, my computer boots to the desktop and is completely usable in under 10 seconds. It's really amazing.

...Jesus. Wow.
---