This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Windows just asked me to download 8.1

#11DragnfyrPosted 11/15/2013 10:28:43 AM
Every single software update will cause issues for some people but those people are usually in the minority. If 8.1 caused issues for a lot of people then it would've been pulled long ago (like how Windows RT 8.1 was pulled).
---
MacBook Pro with Retina Display | 15.4" 2880x1800 | Core i7-3615QM @ 2.3GHz | 8GB DDR3 1600MHz | GT 650M 1GB GDDR5 | 256GB SSD | OSX 10.9 | Windows 8.1 Pro
#12DoramiPosted 11/15/2013 10:30:09 AM
Starks posted...
Why are people still skeptical about basic OS functionality in 2013?

When 8.1 first came out, there were official oem compatibility lists for models that should not upgrade because of driver issues. The concern is understandable.
---
"...Ashley takes on Lord Blazer alone in a white cape with flowing rockstar hair while playing his impossibly cool sword as a guitar..." - LBoksha
#13gsf4lyfePosted 11/15/2013 10:30:34 AM
lost_within posted...
gsf4lyfe posted...
Clouddx posted...
GilgameshSwords posted...
Starks posted...

Only cause I have heard reports of it bricking computers

Where did you hear this from?

My cousin's friend says that a lot of people on message boards have been saying it and he knows a lot about computers and he says Windows 8 is bad so 8.1 must be even worse because everyone knows that ever subsequent MS OS since XP is just incrementally worse.

This makes no logical sense what so ever

Installing an OS will not brick a computer.

If people think an OS will brick a computer, then they don't know the definition of bricking something or they are just plain idiots...

With all that said, Windows 8 is fine, and Windows 8.1 makes some improvements.

Crashes happen....whether it is Windows 1.1 or Windows 8.1.... and sometimes it is hardware, and sometimes it is software...

whoosh
---
Currently playing: The Witcher 2
SteamID: gsf4lyfe
#14StarksPosted 11/15/2013 10:37:14 AM(edited)
It's really not clear how Microsoft defines a high-density screen in 8.1, but 1080p on a small screen seems to default to 120% scaling (which is appropriate).

Dorami posted...
When 8.1 first came out, there were official oem compatibility lists for models that should not upgrade because of driver issues. The concern is understandable.

Only seems to be problem with exotic hybrid graphics setups
---
#otchat ~ https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net/otchat
Mods/Gods 2013
#15ShubPosted 11/15/2013 10:44:12 AM(edited)
All I can say is this: my work computer (a desktop) has two video cards -- Intel HD 2000 and a Radeon 4550. I have two monitors connected to the Radeon and one to the Intel solution.
I upgraded from Windows 8 to 8.1 and the Intel HD 2000 stopped working so my third display is gone. Apparently there is no driver for Intel HD 2000 for Windows 8.1 yet, and nothing I've tried fixes the issue.

On my home computer, I'm a bit concerned about upgrading to 8.1 because Creative has no 8.1 drivers for my sound card yet. Some people are reporting that the latest Creative drivers work fine, other people are saying they don't, yet other people are fine with the PAX drivers but I don't like them, so... I'm holding off, perhaps I'm being silly.

My wife has a Yoga 13 and although I haven't looked into it in a couple of weeks, there seemed to be a large number of Yoga 13 owners trying to upgrade to 8.1 and having problems.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#16GilgameshSwords(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2013 11:42:00 AM
Okay thank you, will get it then. I trust it won't affect my GTX 760?
---
http://www.techieanalyst.net/index.php?/index
1461-7255-1809
#17TheMoonJumperPosted 11/16/2013 1:01:14 AM
gsf4lyfe posted...
Clouddx posted...
GilgameshSwords posted...
Starks posted...

Only cause I have heard reports of it bricking computers

Where did you hear this from?

My cousin's friend says that a lot of people on message boards have been saying it and he knows a lot about computers and he says Windows 8 is bad so 8.1 must be even worse because everyone knows that ever subsequent MS OS since XP is just incrementally worse.

Stopped reading at "my cousin's friend"...

everyone knows that friends of the cousin are always shady.
---
i5 4670K - MSI Z87 G45 - MSI GTX 770 2GB - 8GB Corsair Vengeance - Intel 128GB Cherrville SSD - 2TB Seagate HDD - H100i - 750w 80+ Gold