This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Swapping Mobos

#1DarthFrozanousPosted 11/15/2013 10:53:58 AM
So last black friday when I was uninformed I bought components and built my own pc with the intention to overclock my CPU. I bought an i5-3570k and an Asus P8B75 motherboard thinking that it was unlocked. Unfortunately that wasn't the case......my noobness there...

With black Friday around the corner im thinking of getting a Z77 and a beefy heatsink to go ahad and overclock my PC. My main question is what are the repercussions of doing this and do I need to reinstall my OS? Is it as simple as swapping out the mobo and reinstalling the components? Is it worth doing?

Thanks PC board!
---
i5-3570k 3.4ghz | HiS 7950 BOOST 3GB | OCZ 256GB SSD / 18 GB RAM | 2 TB Barracuda | 750GB Hitachi | P8B75-V | Blackwidow Ultimate
Wii U, PS3, 3DS PC | GameFAQS
#2lost_withinPosted 11/15/2013 11:13:12 AM
You will most likely have to reinstall Windows, but it might work, best case scenario you will have to reactivate Windows...

The advantage depends, do you really need to over-clock? does it support more ram? Will you upgrade your ram if it does?

It just depends... but those are a few things to consider...
---
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity."
Harlan Ellison
#3macmahon187Posted 11/15/2013 11:16:41 AM
DarthFrozanous posted...
So last black friday when I was uninformed I bought components and built my own pc with the intention to overclock my CPU. I bought an i5-3570k and an Asus P8B75 motherboard thinking that it was unlocked. Unfortunately that wasn't the case......my noobness there...

With black Friday around the corner im thinking of getting a Z77 and a beefy heatsink to go ahad and overclock my PC. My main question is what are the repercussions of doing this and do I need to reinstall my OS? Is it as simple as swapping out the mobo and reinstalling the components? Is it worth doing?

Thanks PC board!

I did this with an AMD build back in 2011 and had no trouble. Just uninstall old Mb drivers and install new ones.
---
Posted using GameFlux
#4DarthFrozanous(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2013 11:45:13 AM
macmahon187 posted...
DarthFrozanous posted...

Thanks PC board!

I did this with an AMD build back in 2011 and had no trouble. Just uninstall old Mb drivers and install new ones.

So you didn't have to reinstall and activate windows all over again?
---
i5-3570k 3.4ghz | HiS 7950 BOOST 3GB | OCZ 256GB SSD / 18 GB RAM | 2 TB Barracuda | 750GB Hitachi | P8B75-V | Blackwidow Ultimate
#5burn420247Posted 11/15/2013 11:59:26 AM(edited)
if you're swapping a motherboard,its generally best to re-install your operating system.

driver conflicts a plenty and things not working the way they should, (because windows has all your old drivers installed from your old board), like your sound, ethernet, USB, and possible other components on the mobo.
---
Boxer Santaros: I'm a pimp. And pimps don't commit suicide.
#6eviljetPosted 11/15/2013 12:05:17 PM
I would also recommend reinstalling your OS, especially since you plan to overclock. You don't want to be getting errors or driver conflicts causing stability issues while you are trying to stress test your overclock for stability. Plus, reinstalling is fairly quick and simple these days, it's really not a big deal.
---
i5-2500k | Geforce 670 GTX | 2x4GB DDR3 | Asus P8Z77-V Pro | Ultra-120 | Antec 900 | Corsair HX750
#7DarthFrozanous(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2013 12:27:15 PM
eviljet posted...
I would also recommend reinstalling your OS, especially since you plan to overclock. You don't want to be getting errors or driver conflicts causing stability issues while you are trying to stress test your overclock for stability. Plus, reinstalling is fairly quick and simple these days, it's really not a big deal.

I don't want to have to reinstall all of my programs, steam games etc and would take me FOREVER to reconfigure my windows 8.1 settings
---
#8macmahon187Posted 11/15/2013 12:36:50 PM
burn420247 posted...
if you're swapping a motherboard,its generally best to re-install your operating system.

driver conflicts a plenty and things not working the way they should, (because windows has all your old drivers installed from your old board), like your sound, ethernet, USB, and possible other components on the mobo.

Just uninstall the drivers mentioned above and things should be fine. If not then wipe OS and reinstall. But if out works fine you have saved a big headache.
---
Posted using GameFlux
#9macmahon187Posted 11/15/2013 12:40:36 PM
I have also taken a windows HD from an Intel system and used it on an AMD system without any problems what so ever. Get rid of all MB drivers them ruin ccleaner and clean your registry if your that worried. Install new drivers and you should be fine
---
Posted using GameFlux
#10mrCubePosted 11/15/2013 1:19:04 PM
Yeah, I've done this many times and there's never really been an issue. Worst case scenario you may have to re-activate Windows. But there's only a very slim chance you'll run into any driver issues. If you want to be extra safe, uninstall your chipset drivers before making the swap. Even without uninstalling, Windows is smart enough most of the time to know whether or not the drivers you have installed work with the hardware you have installed.
---
---