This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do you figure out what pins your RAM is?

#1thefearedmonstrPosted 11/15/2013 12:05:55 PM
According to the internet, my Intel P45M Mobo should be capable of handling DDR 3 RAM. So I bought some DDR3 RAM from an online store, but when I took out the old RAM, it said underneath, on the mb: "DDR2 Only". I'm figuring they're meaning that DDR1 memory won't fit, but surely the internet wouldn't be lying to me and DDR3 should fit. But which pins should I need?
---
Everything I say is the truth. There will be no discussion
#2ShubPosted 11/15/2013 12:09:58 PM(edited)
There's no way to confuse DDR2 from DDR3, regardless of the number of pins.
If you have the RAM in hand already (or just look up a picture on Google), you should see that it has a notch near the center (but not at the center) among the pins that connect to the motherboard. The notch on a DDR2 DIMM is in a different pot from the notch on a DDR3 DIMM so there is no way to fit DDR2 in a DDR3 slot and vice versa.
What's your exact motherboard brand and model number?
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#3thefearedmonstr(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2013 12:32:01 PM(edited)
http://imgur.com/HRFY8iS

that's what CPU-Z says
edit: broken link

---
#4lost_withinPosted 11/15/2013 12:24:07 PM
thefearedmonstr posted...
According to the internet, my Intel P45M Mobo should be capable of handling DDR 3 RAM. So I bought some DDR3 RAM from an online store, but when I took out the old RAM, it said underneath, on the mb: "DDR2 Only". I'm figuring they're meaning that DDR1 memory won't fit, but surely the internet wouldn't be lying to me and DDR3 should fit. But which pins should I need?

The internet lied to you... it will be okay you will eventually stop hurting...when your wallet stops hemorrhaging money....
---
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity."
Harlan Ellison
#5thefearedmonstr(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2013 12:24:35 PM
lost_within posted...
thefearedmonstr posted...

The internet lied to you... it will be okay you will eventually stop hurting...when your wallet stops hemorrhaging money....

I paid 100 euro for this memory :(
---
#6thefearedmonstr(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2013 12:26:06 PM
So if all else fails, where can I get some damn cheap 8 GB RAM for my laptop (in europe), and is there a significant performance increase from DDR2 to DDR3 (not gaming related, except for WoW and LoL)
---
#7thefearedmonstr(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2013 12:31:40 PM
http://imgur.com/HRFY8iS
---
#8eviljetPosted 11/15/2013 12:50:15 PM
http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/NP-R720-FS03UK-techspecs

System Memory
4GB
(2 x 2GB) DDR2 800MHz

Memory Slot
2 x Slot SODIMM

It's not too tough to look up, you should really do this sort of thing first hand before you run out and by parts. Return the memory or sell it if you can't, and get some more that matches the above info.
---
i5-2500k | Radeon 5850 | 2x4GB DDR3 | Asus P8P67 | Ultra-120 | Antec 900 | OCZ 600W | Samsung T240 and 940BF
#9ShubPosted 11/15/2013 12:51:01 PM
You can't get cheap DDR2 these days.
Anyway, I can't find info about your motherboard, apparently the Samsung R720 is a phone, so obviously that's not your motherboard. That said, I'm pretty sure the Intel P45/P45M chipset never supported DDR3. Speaking of which, you should make sure your motherboard actually supports 8 GB of RAM, since that's not guaranteed (regardless of whether it's DDR2 or 3).
And no, there is no significant difference in performance between DDR2 and 3.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#10thefearedmonstr(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2013 4:00:17 PM
Shub posted...
You can't get cheap DDR2 these days.
Anyway, I can't find info about your motherboard, apparently the Samsung R720 is a phone, so obviously that's not your motherboard. That said, I'm pretty sure the Intel P45/P45M chipset never supported DDR3. Speaking of which, you should make sure your motherboard actually supports 8 GB of RAM, since that's not guaranteed (regardless of whether it's DDR2 or 3).
And no, there is no significant difference in performance between DDR2 and 3.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_P45

according to this it supports both DDR2 and DDR3 up to 16GB, this is what I got my info from
---