This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do you figure out what pins your RAM is?

#11thefearedmonstr(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2013 4:00:55 PM
eviljet posted...
http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/NP-R720-FS03UK-techspecs

System Memory
4GB
(2 x 2GB) DDR2 800MHz

Memory Slot
2 x Slot SODIMM

It's not too tough to look up, you should really do this sort of thing first hand before you run out and by parts. Return the memory or sell it if you can't, and get some more that matches the above info.

Already got 4 Giggers, thanks though, but I need 8 or 16
---
Everything I say is the truth. There will be no discussion
#12DragnfyrPosted 11/15/2013 4:04:03 PM
thefearedmonstr posted...
Shub posted...
You can't get cheap DDR2 these days.
Anyway, I can't find info about your motherboard, apparently the Samsung R720 is a phone, so obviously that's not your motherboard. That said, I'm pretty sure the Intel P45/P45M chipset never supported DDR3. Speaking of which, you should make sure your motherboard actually supports 8 GB of RAM, since that's not guaranteed (regardless of whether it's DDR2 or 3).
And no, there is no significant difference in performance between DDR2 and 3.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_P45

according to this it supports both DDR2 and DDR3 up to 16GB, this is what I got my info from

You should look at your laptop model and not just the chipset in general. Also only a select few P45 motherboards support DDR3 and they tend to be desktop boards because they have to have different slots for DDR2 and DDR3 (both can't be used at the same time either). Also on a laptop as old as yours 4GB of RAM is more than enough. Increasing RAM won't help performance.
---
MacBook Pro with Retina Display | 15.4" 2880x1800 | Core i7-3615QM @ 2.3GHz | 8GB DDR3 1600MHz | GT 650M 1GB GDDR5 | 256GB SSD | OSX 10.9 | Windows 8.1 Pro
#13thefearedmonstr(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2013 4:09:29 PM
Dragnfyr posted...
Shub posted...
You can't get cheap DDR2 these days.
Anyway, I can't find info about your motherboard, apparently the Samsung R720 is a phone, so obviously that's not your motherboard. That said, I'm pretty sure the Intel P45/P45M chipset never supported DDR3. Speaking of which, you should make sure your motherboard actually supports 8 GB of RAM, since that's not guaranteed (regardless of whether it's DDR2 or 3).
And no, there is no significant difference in performance between DDR2 and 3.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_P45

according to this it supports both DDR2 and DDR3 up to 16GB, this is what I got my info from

You should look at your laptop model and not just the chipset in general. Also only a select few P45 motherboards support DDR3 and they tend to be desktop boards because they have to have different slots for DDR2 and DDR3 (both can't be used at the same time either). Also on a laptop as old as yours 4GB of RAM is more than enough. Increasing RAM won't help performance.

I suppose you're right. I refurbished this laptop a bit, because I needed one, by sticking an SSD in it. It's running pretty good now, thought if I could put in a bit of more RAM I would've even had a better thing going. Meh, guess this Core 2 Duo laptop just isn't going to get any better. Thanks for the help though guys
---
Everything I say is the truth. There will be no discussion
#14wildog2006Posted 11/15/2013 7:45:48 PM
9/10

Would read this topic again.
---
Insert generic offensive/slightly racist/holier than thou/fanboy/douchebag/elitist comment here.
#15eviljetPosted 11/19/2013 2:30:48 PM
eviljet posted...
http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/NP-R720-FS03UK-techspecs

System Memory
4GB
(2 x 2GB) DDR2 800MHz

Memory Slot
2 x Slot SODIMM

It's not too tough to look up, you should really do this sort of thing first hand before you run out and by parts. Return the memory or sell it if you can't, and get some more that matches the above info.

Already got 4 Giggers, thanks though, but I need 8 or 16

You misunderstood me. I pasted this directly from that page and that is what your system comes with. As long as what you buy matches the specs, not the size, it should work. So any DDR2 800Mhz SODIMM ram should work.

Return the ram you bought and go by 2x4gb DDR2 800mhz SODIMM ram.
---
i5-2500k | Geforce 670 GTX | 2x4GB DDR3 | Asus P8Z77-V Pro | Ultra-120 | Antec 900 | Corsair HX750
#16lost_withinPosted 11/19/2013 2:38:10 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#17ShubPosted 11/19/2013 4:22:05 PM
eviljet posted...
You misunderstood me. I pasted this directly from that page and that is what your system comes with. As long as what you buy matches the specs, not the size, it should work. So any DDR2 800Mhz SODIMM ram should work.

Return the ram you bought and go by 2x4gb DDR2 800mhz SODIMM ram.

Yep, but only if the laptop actually supports 8 GB of RAM.
I didn't research this for very long but I couldn't find any info on what the maximum supported RAM is in this laptop.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.