This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

High end video cards too hot and too loud?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. High end video cards too hot and too loud?
2 years ago#1
I am planning on buying a high end video card (not as far as titan, but R9 290 kind of level is what iam looking at).

The problem is that with most cards iam seeing the same complain, while gaming they get too hot and too loud. Is there a card that doesnt do this??
Because i can see the noise getting annoying fast and over heating is never a good thing.. ever..
---
Iam POPWW
2 years ago#2
Get an aftermarket cooler and it'll run much quieter. A couple years ago I put a Gelid Icy Vision Rev 2 on my GTX 470 and it was completely silent. Of course you would have to buy a different cooler that fits on the R9 290.
---
MacBook Pro with Retina Display | 15.4" 2880x1800 | Core i7-3615QM @ 2.3GHz | 8GB DDR3 1600MHz | GT 650M 1GB GDDR5 | 256GB SSD | OSX 10.9 | Windows 8.1 Pro
2 years ago#3
Turn fan to 70% on msi afterburner and just leave it. The complaints are from people who rely on CCC to do it for them based in heat levels.
---
I hate windows 8!
2 years ago#4
I have never heard my GTX 670. When I have any room fan going or some sort of other background noise, I can't hear my tower at all.
---
www.janzengraphics.com
FC: 0645-5830-9568
2 years ago#5
Those people just need better air flow control...

by the way if your not too hot now, you never will be...
---
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity."
Harlan Ellison
2 years ago#6
ThePCElitist posted...
Turn fan to 70% on msi afterburner and just leave it. The complaints are from people who rely on CCC to do it for them based in heat levels.

70% is a lot higher than the default 40-50% though so it'll be loud all the time instead of just when he's gaming.
---
MacBook Pro with Retina Display | 15.4" 2880x1800 | Core i7-3615QM @ 2.3GHz | 8GB DDR3 1600MHz | GT 650M 1GB GDDR5 | 256GB SSD | OSX 10.9 | Windows 8.1 Pro
2 years ago#7
He might be talking about low heat output overall, a card that use low power and is efficient, thus low heat dissipation.
2 years ago#8
Well i guess i could just buy the card and if it does get too loud and too hot just buy an aftermarket cooler for it.
Are they pricey?
---
Iam POPWW
2 years ago#9
You're seriously only going to hear about the issue on the R9 280 and 290, and X versions of both. You can wait for the third-party companies to get their shipments of cards so they can slap on their cooling solutions, or as you say, get it now and purchase the cooler and install it yourself later. I'd say they run you about $30, maybe a little more if you get one with multiple fans.
---
Isn't that right, Zach?
http://tinyurl.com/5vsjbj6
2 years ago#10
Knifegash posted...
You're seriously only going to hear about the issue on the R9 280 and 290, and X versions of both. You can wait for the third-party companies to get their shipments of cards so they can slap on their cooling solutions, or as you say, get it now and purchase the cooler and install it yourself later. I'd say they run you about $30, maybe a little more if you get one with multiple fans.

Nah the good coolers usually cost $50-$100. I don't think any have been released yet though.
---
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. High end video cards too hot and too loud?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived