This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

High end video cards too hot and too loud?

#11Rama_X(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2013 12:56:26 PM
Knifegash posted...
You're seriously only going to hear about the issue on the R9 280 and 290, and X versions of both. You can wait for the third-party companies to get their shipments of cards so they can slap on their cooling solutions, or as you say, get it now and purchase the cooler and install it yourself later. I'd say they run you about $30, maybe a little more if you get one with multiple fans.

Iam open to hear anything since iam a pc noob lol. And i cant wait since my plan is to buy it on Amazon on Black Friday. But it doesnt sound too expensive at least.
---
Iam POPWW
#12Rama_X(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2013 12:57:19 PM
Dragnfyr posted...
Knifegash posted...
You're seriously only going to hear about the issue on the R9 280 and 290, and X versions of both. You can wait for the third-party companies to get their shipments of cards so they can slap on their cooling solutions, or as you say, get it now and purchase the cooler and install it yourself later. I'd say they run you about $30, maybe a little more if you get one with multiple fans.

Nah the good coolers usually cost $50-$100. I don't think any have been released yet though.

Now that is a little more expensive..
---
Iam POPWW
#13KnifegashPosted 11/15/2013 1:12:26 PM
Dragnfyr posted...
Knifegash posted...

Nah the good coolers usually cost $50-$100. I don't think any have been released yet though.

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=100-FS-2790-B9

And that's a BOSS cooler.
---
Isn't that right, Zach?
http://tinyurl.com/5vsjbj6
#14Rama_X(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2013 1:19:00 PM
Knifegash posted...
Dragnfyr posted...
Knifegash posted...

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=100-FS-2790-B9

And that's a BOSS cooler.

Now thats better lol.
---
Iam POPWW
#15JonWood007Posted 11/15/2013 1:24:48 PM
Often times they are, but it depends on the series and the card.

My 5850 was rather "high end" at the time, but it's not loud and rarely breaks 70 when gaming. I've never seen it break 80, not even on the hottest days in the summer I used it (and trust me, we've had record highs for forever since I've had this comp).

My 580 either went up to 87 or sounded like a jet engine. In the summer, it did both.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | HD 5850 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#16KnifegashPosted 11/15/2013 1:27:40 PM(edited)
Yeah, that's always an alternative, but as you mention you're a ''PC noob'', swapping out the cooler is a little more advanced for newcomers to usually consider. However, you mention you're on a time constraint due to a sale, but are you totally certain the card will even go on sale? GPU's don't typically get on black friday sales, and one as recent as the R9 290, I wouldn't be surprised to see it absent from any holiday sales this year.

*edit

PFFT Dragnfyr did you seriously delete your posts? What the hell's the matter with you!

**double edit
Haha I think my browser gimped, because I didn't see your posts at all, and now they're back. What the hell is going on...
---
Isn't that right, Zach?
http://tinyurl.com/5vsjbj6
#17MASKOAAAPosted 11/15/2013 1:28:37 PM
Get decent headphones. Problem solved.
---
D3 Armory Profile - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/MASKOAA-1251/
#18Rama_X(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2013 1:58:17 PM
Knifegash posted...
Yeah, that's always an alternative, but as you mention you're a ''PC noob'', swapping out the cooler is a little more advanced for newcomers to usually consider. However, you mention you're on a time constraint due to a sale, but are you totally certain the card will even go on sale? GPU's don't typically get on black friday sales, and one as recent as the R9 290, I wouldn't be surprised to see it absent from any holiday sales this year.

*edit

PFFT Dragnfyr did you seriously delete your posts? What the hell's the matter with you!

**double edit
Haha I think my browser gimped, because I didn't see your posts at all, and now they're back. What the hell is going on...

Iam a PC noob indeed but i have friends that work with computers for a living so they know how to do that kind of stuff and for free.

And yeah it is very possible that i wont find a sale on such cards, but i will try and look it up at least. If i dont find anything i will just have to pay the normal price and deal with it.

MASKOAAA posted...
Get decent headphones. Problem solved.

Haha yeah that is what iam probably going to do for gaming but that doesnt solve the over heating problem though.
---
Iam POPWW
#19PhilOnDezPosted 11/15/2013 2:06:58 PM
They won't overheat unless something is wrong with the card. They just start throttling at 95 degrees or so and should hover around that mark until they go back to idle.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#20wizardmonPosted 11/15/2013 2:09:34 PM
Rama_X posted...
Well i guess i could just buy the card and if it does get too loud and too hot just buy an aftermarket cooler for it.
Are they pricey?

Just wait for a nice two or three fan version from MSI or GigaByte.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)