This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition - Released. Discussion Topic.

#1BendoHendoPosted 11/15/2013 4:02:22 PM
Just got released. Who's getting it?

--
#2ciraMegaSPosted 11/15/2013 4:07:04 PM
I still don't see the point of getting this over the original unless they release a Linux version of this.
---
Black
#3TheSchrefPosted 11/15/2013 4:11:57 PM
How does this game compare to Planescape Torment in terms of gameplay?

I like to read, but I realized when I was playing through Planescape Torment I'd rather just go read a book. Not saying the game was bad. I didn't play it enough to really form an opinion of it.

Is the combat better in BG2? Is the game mainly reading? How does it differ?

Thanks.
#4xanthan1Posted 11/15/2013 4:13:50 PM
TheSchref posted...

I like to read, but I realized when I was playing through Planescape Torment I'd rather just go read a book. Not saying the game was bad. I didn't play it enough to really form an opinion of it.

Thanks.

Imagine the infinity engine games as a scale with Planescape on one end, with it's focus on story and not much combat, and on the other you have Icewind Dale, where the story is just an excuse to go fight things.

The BG games are sort of in the middle. If do get them start with the first.
#5TheSchrefPosted 11/15/2013 4:15:28 PM
Holy **** 25 dollars.

>.>
#6FeatherwindPosted 11/15/2013 4:37:47 PM(edited)
TheSchref posted...

Thanks.

I prefer BG:SoA over Planescape: Torment which I didn't like too much. It captures the feel of pen&paper D&D pretty well and most of the characters are great imo. They are hammy in a way that fits the game. The game isn't even that serious but it's not too jokey either. Also the chapters in the city after the annoying tutorial dungeon are extremely well done. There is a lot to do in the main city, lots of exploration and good side quests.

There is more combat than in Planescape and I think it's safe to say it's better. There are moderate amounts of conversation but there is more combat and dungeon crawling.

The expansion Throne of Bhaal is not as good but it's pretty much only combat and dungeon crawling.

ciraMegaS posted...
I still don't see the point of getting this over the original unless they release a Linux version of this.

It seems to have extra bits of story content that the original doesn't have. I guess thats technically a reason but no way to know whether this content is worthless or not.
---
pathological
#7_LegendaryPunk_Posted 11/15/2013 5:47:25 PM
Oh wow. Had no idea this had just been released, or that it was even around the corner.

Has there been no hype? Or have I just been not paying attention?
---
"But though you may find this slightly macabre,
We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job."
#8BendoHendo(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2013 5:59:28 PM
_LegendaryPunk_ posted...
Oh wow. Had no idea this had just been released, or that it was even around the corner.

Has there been no hype? Or have I just been not paying attention?

Well, it's not much better, and may be worse in some ways, than a modded BG II, so that's why there's not much hype.

--
#9PathlessBulletPosted 11/15/2013 6:59:09 PM
TheSchref posted...
Holy **** 25 dollars.

>.>

---
ADD, no. Where is the thread for Fallout OCD players?
"We have to keep it on page 3 or it freaks out."
#10JKatarnPosted 11/15/2013 7:01:00 PM
TheSchref posted...
Holy **** 25 dollars.

>.>

Yes....25 dollars for at least 80-100 hours of gameplay, what a rip *eyeroll* - I can see why some people come away with the impression that all PC gamers are entitled children.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES