This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is the RTS genre dying?

#11biohazard1775Posted 11/15/2013 8:37:34 PM
A handful are still going strong but as a whole it's on the decline.
---
http://i.imgur.com/nrx65Pw.jpg
We should take away their metal boxes!
#12KaushadPosted 11/15/2013 9:54:18 PM
still millions on starcraft 2
LoL is one of the most played games out there.
Dota II is gaining some momentum as well.
---
Let us assume that for the sake of assumption that I am always right.
#13gsf4lyfePosted 11/15/2013 9:55:48 PM
Kaushad posted...

You literally don't even know what an RTS is.
---
Currently playing: The Witcher 2
SteamID: gsf4lyfe
#14Logical_OnePosted 11/15/2013 10:03:49 PM
NotQuiteAFreak posted...
Total War's the most popular it's ever been right now... :/

In all fairness TW is an RTS/TBS hybrid. I would have to agree--full-on (no pause, no TBS options) RTS games are a dying breed.
---
Gamefaqs....the land where pokemon is the holy grail and final fantasy is God himself--Raptorleon3
#15Lady UnePosted 11/15/2013 10:08:39 PM
What CoH have you been playing?
---
Leader of the Elder Cult of Jiub.
I still love Scribs.
#16majinbuu58Posted 11/15/2013 10:18:08 PM
Dying? Its dead. The only relevant RTS is starcraft 2. CoH2 didn't sell too well. And Total War doesn't really count. Its a weird hybrid.
#17AllmatteredPosted 11/15/2013 10:29:35 PM
Kaushad posted...

Dota and LoL aren't RTS
#18Bellum_SacrumPosted 11/15/2013 10:46:11 PM
It died with the advent of the 7th gen of consoles, when western publishers abandoned the PC as a lead platform.

If battlefield simulation games like Total War are all that's left it...well, damn.
---
"Now go ahead and leap ignorantly to the defense of wealthy game companies who don't know or care about you."
#19Marioface5Posted 11/15/2013 11:06:17 PM
I've always liked the idea of RTS games, but I just can't get into them and the main reason for that is that it seems like all of the ones that are purely real-time are also just battles. I'd like to see a game that starts everyone off peacefully on a generated map, kind of like in Civilization, and then you could build cities and manage your country or faction or whatever you have kind of like in a city building game. War would be an option, of course, but it wouldn't be the whole point of the game. Not only would this give the genre more depth and some much-needed variety, but it would get rid of some major problems like rushing. Combine that with AI that actually plays fairly and some options to allow advanced players and newcomers alike to have fun and I think the RTS genre could come back easily.
---
The world gets weirder every day.
PSN: Marioface5
#20DerPancake(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2013 11:10:37 PM
Marioface5 posted...
I've always liked the idea of RTS games, but I just can't get into them and the main reason for that is that it seems like all of the ones that are purely real-time are also just battles. I'd like to see a game that starts everyone off peacefully on a generated map, kind of like in Civilization, and then you could build cities and manage your country or faction or whatever you have kind of like in a city building game. War would be an option, of course, but it wouldn't be the whole point of the game. Not only would this give the genre more depth and some much-needed variety, but it would get rid of some major problems like rushing. Combine that with AI that actually plays fairly and some options to allow advanced players and newcomers alike to have fun and I think the RTS genre could come back easily.

Age of Empires 3 has a mode where you have a 40 minute treaty (or depends the time you want but 40 minutes its the most played) where you can build your city and relax, after the 40 minutes you can attack each other.
---
EVGA