This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PC running at next gen console standard

#1nightcolaPosted 11/15/2013 9:38:19 PM
With the next generation games consoles on us I was wondering how that would effect PC's but instead of dwelling too much on that I will cut to the chase of my question of this topic which is how much would it cost to buy a PC which can play games at an estimated equivalent of how good the PS4 and the Xbone can run them ? also is there any good suggestions on where to buy such a machine ? furthermore the Consoles both have 8 core processors but they only run at a speed of about 1.75 or 1.6 so would it be better to have a quad or six core at a greater speed ?

I understand that its cheaper to build your own but I don't have the knowledge to do that.
#2SteamsterPosted 11/15/2013 10:00:41 PM
nightcola posted...
I understand that its cheaper to build your own but I don't have the knowledge to do that.

That's why there's a sticky bro

Honestly, it doesn't take an education or a degree to insert things into the slots that are clearly depicted in the manuals that come with your parts. Just sayin'.
#3MasterDonGeroPosted 11/15/2013 10:12:35 PM
F***ing peasants.
---
3570K (4.8 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom
#4gsf4lyfePosted 11/15/2013 10:17:47 PM
newegg has an amazing series of videos on how to build a PC. Anyone with a rudimentary knowledge of computers (i.e. can turn one on) could build one after watching them.
---
Currently playing: The Witcher 2
SteamID: gsf4lyfe
#5MacrossSpecialPosted 11/15/2013 10:19:31 PM
gsf4lyfe posted...
newegg has an amazing series of videos on how to build a PC. Anyone with a rudimentary knowledge of computers (i.e. can turn one on) could build one after watching them.

You don't even need that; just stick things in the only slots where they will fit, and voila.
---
...Dude, you're a ****ing douche. Get off my god damn internets.
- RX7Infinitilll
#6DarkZV2BetaPosted 11/15/2013 11:27:17 PM
I posted a $380 PCS4 on PS4H at one point. Can probably manage something faster than PS4 for ~$400.
---
Even people have toenails. Of course PCs have toenails. -claytonbuckley
#7Bellum_SacrumPosted 11/16/2013 12:07:41 AM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
I posted a $380 PCS4 on PS4H at one point. Can probably manage something faster than PS4 for ~$400.

Please tell me you just didn't try building a PC that matches a PS4 in raw specs and miraculously believe they'd perform equally.
---
"Now go ahead and leap ignorantly to the defense of wealthy game companies who don't know or care about you."
#8Rigby_RaccoonPosted 11/16/2013 12:18:32 AM
Steamster posted...

A stupidly outdated sticky that was made before DDR3 RAM lol

DarkZV2Beta posted...

No you can't. You can't build a PS4 for $400, that's the point, Sony sells consoles for a loss at launch.

Maybe you could get some hunk of garbage that would on paper have 'equivalent' specs, but good f***ing luck actually getting it to run with you bargain bin mobo/psu/ram/etc.
---
http://i.imgur.com/SrNgux6.png
#9DarkZV2BetaPosted 11/16/2013 12:53:06 AM(edited)
Bellum_Sacrum posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...

Please tell me you just didn't try building a PC that matches a PS4 in raw specs and miraculously believe they'd perform equally.

Of course not. I built a PC that walks all over PS4 on the CPU side, where all the compatibility overhead on a PC is, and using a slightly faster GPU.
IE, a PC that will perform to par with PS4 in multiplatform games.

Rigby_Raccoon posted...
Steamster posted...

A stupidly outdated sticky that was made before DDR3 RAM lol

DarkZV2Beta posted...

No you can't. You can't build a PS4 for $400, that's the point, Sony sells consoles for a loss at launch.

Maybe you could get some hunk of garbage that would on paper have 'equivalent' specs, but good f***ing luck actually getting it to run with you bargain bin mobo/psu/ram/etc.

I kind of doubt Sony is selling PS4 at a loss given the underwhelming hardware, and cheapo manufacturing of the unit. If they are, though, it's because they're buying up the mobile class chips instead of comparable performance desktop chips in order to fit the console into a smaller power profile so they can keep it cool.
---
Even people have toenails. Of course PCs have toenails. -claytonbuckley
#10nightcola(Topic Creator)Posted 11/16/2013 12:00:59 PM
Yes I would like to learn sometime but I prefer to learn firsthand before risking it while spending alot of money. I'm going to go a little better than next gen consoles but I am interested the equivalents of them as a base. Consoles are around for a few years at least while PC's are always changing.

While checking out the specs of the new consoles they don't seem that great anyway and people often say why not just get a PC. I'm asking a question here is how much more expensive would a PC be if it ran games at next gen console performance at least and where are some of the better places to buy from. While I appreciate some of the comments so far there has been little here to answer my question.